Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aguilar DB 359

eddiehoffmann

Hey people!

Anybody out there ever used the Aguilar DB359? [url="http://basstasters.com/preamps/Aguilar_DB359.html"]http://basstasters.com/preamps/Aguilar_DB359.html[/url] I always wanted to try one, but never got the chance. They've been discontinued for a while now and don't come up second hand often.

Please, share your thoughts.

Cheers

Eddie

[quote]I was all lined up to trade with a guy who pulled out last minute over the summer........ so no :)[/quote]

Hi Gavin,

I just bought one from the States and it should be here by the end of the next week! :)

I'll let you know what it is like. I ALWAYS wanted to have one of these. I can't believe it I managed to grab one. Keep watching this space...

Cheers

Edited by eddiehoffmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok. I finally gigged the DB 359 for the first time last night. A little delay to have the voltage conversion done. The amp also had a full health check-up and I'm happy to say it's all good!

It was a trial by fire for the 359, since the venue I played last night is the one with the worst acoustics of all the ones where I usually play. It's specially difficult for the bass, but I'm used to play there so I had a good reference point. I used cabinets I have used there before as well (Aguilar GS 210 and GS 212), so the only variant was the amp.

One thing I noticed before is that no matter how hard I tweaked with the eq I could never get a good bass sound during the first set, when the house is always half-empty. For the second set, with a full house, things always get better. Yesterday I notice a difference right from the start and, as the gig went on, it got better and better. Full, rich valve sound. Very responsive to the dynamics of your playing. The amp also responded really well whenever I used the Catalinbread SFT in front of it for a tiny bit of wool around the notes.

I owned some really good valve heads before and I was very pleased with their performance, but from this first experience with the DB 359 in such challenging circumstances I can tell this is the beginning of a long relationship. I'll write a review when I have done a few more gigs with this rig.

Cheers

Eddie

Edited by eddiehoffmann

Aguilar built their reputation as studio pres, IMO, and was a must-have for a whole host sessioneers...
so I would not be surprised if this piece of kit was along the same lines...as in, quality.

Good to hear.
If I wasn't so delighted with my current amp..I would have gone down this route.