Why become a member? ×

Supplying power for 575w Amp - from socket to amp

citymariner

I've just noticed on the 'What's in your rack thread' that someone has mentioned NOT to use a surge protector before the amp as it limits current drain.

Typically at the venues I play at there is the need to stick an extension lead in to power my amp and effects.

I've a few kicking around the house including a decent surge protector one - it's quite funny to watch as I when I hit the lows it shows how the amp draws more power.

Should I be using a surge protector? The poster did comment for high-powered amps - is my Ashdown Klystron 500 (575w) classed as high powered?

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1319972988' post='1420605']
I've just noticed on the 'What's in your rack thread' that someone has mentioned NOT to use a surge protector before the amp as it limits current drain.
[/quote]It does not. A so-called 'power conditioner' can, and that's why AFAIK not one manufacturer recommends them, while many recommend against their use. But what 'power conditioner' means has been corrupted; most devices with that label today are actually just surge protected and possibly noise filtered power strips. Price is the clue, and if it costs more than 30 quid or so you don't need it. For that amount or less it's a power strip and won't bother your amp if rated for adequate current draw.

This sounds all good then.

The 6 way extension lead offers 'surge protection' like you would use for a computer etc.

I've always used these type of extensions hoping it has been offering me a little more protection.

Is it right that using power conditioners is a good idea when you are abroad and using generators etc. ?

Thanks for your responses!