Why become a member? ×

Bug in search results ordering

BigBeatNut

Hi,

Search results ordering is broken.

I search for fretless in 'For Sale:Basses'. 1st page of results includes recent threads, at the top marked as not read, followed by older posts up to about 1 month old, marked as read. 2nd page of results includes recent threads, at the top marked as not read, followed by older posts up to about 3 months old, marked as read. 3rd page .... you get the picture, the pattern repeats on every page of results.

If I'm sorting by date of last thread update, ALL the recent results should come first, all the results on the second page should be older than the first, etc, etc.

This is a horrible bug. It's a schoolboy error, in web-programming terms. How much did you pay the people who provided this software, it really is atrocious that they let this through.

The rant is, if you can't tell, really directed at the providers of the software, not the volunteers who run basschat.

Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

Looking at the software package, the software providers have changed the search engine and it hasn't 'knitted well' with the older version we've updated from. It's an acknowledged bug and I believe it's addressed in the latest bug patch release which we're in the process of obtaining/installing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my 'fretless' search again (for sale forum) and discovered some recent updates (under a month old) as late as page 21 (out of 31) mixed in with updates from 2009/2010 on the same page.

That sounds like it's consistent with Sphinx indexes being out-of-date with the main database, possibly related to the cron settings we were looking at yesterday.

Any chance of giving Ben a prod ? :)

Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1321183859' post='1436112']
Just checked my 'fretless' search again (for sale forum) and discovered some recent updates (under a month old) as late as page 21 (out of 31) mixed in with updates from 2009/2010 on the same page.

That sounds like it's consistent with Sphinx indexes being out-of-date with the main database, possibly related to the cron settings we were looking at yesterday.

Any chance of giving Ben a prod ? :)

Andy
[/quote]

I know Ben is busy, but it's a simple job that I can do - but I will ask his permission first in case I make 'magic smoke' :) lolz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1321951356' post='1444643']
... still a problem for me. Every time I search for fretless (ordered by last update time) I have to go through all 31 pages of results to find the recent updates.
[/quote]
This is still a problem for me, any chance of fixes/patches coming up soon ?

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1323211452' post='1460741']
This is still a problem for me, any chance of fixes/patches coming up soon ?

Andy
[/quote]

I think IPB are acutely aware of this bug, amongst others. How fast they release a bug fix is sadly beyond our control, but to give them credit they do listen and respond to clients complaints and act on them.

• 2 months later...