Why become a member? ×

Sold - Fender Jazz American Deluxe 2011

Alanbass

Hi,

Thinking of moving on my 4 string Fender American Jazz deluxe.
It's a sunburst with rosewood neck and is the latest model that I bought ealrier this year from the Gallery in London.
The reason for selling is to go towards the purchase of a Sadowsky NYC.
Looking for offers in the region of £1,100. - drop to £1000!
Cheers.

Edited by Alanbass

Hi Alan,
Just interested in your opinion of these new deluxes and why you might be moving it on in favour of an NYC. I have the natural/maple finish version, and apart from some slight earthing (or lack of) noise I can't seem to track down (could be bridge earthing which is a little flakey) I really like the rest of "the package" with this instrument. Even the weight isn't too much of an issue for an active. I suppose the circuit/pick-up combination with the neodymium is a bit muted when compared to a more traditional set-up, but then I'm not a "slapper" so that doesn't impact too much, and the new features - lightweight tuners, high mass bridge, through body stringing, 5 bolt neck attachment, neck finish etc. all seem to be good and make a highly usable bass configuration.

I have owned an NYC (bought and sold here) and I still have a natural UV70. The NYC was very boutique and beautifully made, but as a working instrument I somehow feel more "comfortable" with the evolved version of the traditional Leo creation.

All the best with your sale.
NAS

Hi NAS,
Thanks for your message. With my jazz deluxe I also had horrible earth noise which I solved by haivng it shielded - the main problem seemed to be the lack of shielding under the bridge pickup - given that it is the top of the range Fender model it was pretty dissapponting that they could spend a few quid in have the whole bass expertly shielded. Having sorted the shielding the Jazz is fine now. The range of sounds is pretty good on the jazz, nice and tight sound on the bridge pickup is one that I particualrly like. The neck is also pretty good on the jazz - they seem to have rolled the frets so that you have to have them filed down to get a nice smooth finish. To my ears I find that to cut through best in a live situation I play with the balance towards the bridge pickup and then for the occasional slap I hit the foot switch to bring in an aguilar compressor to round out and level the sound. Having previously owned Sadowskys I just think that the sound is slightly more refined and the necks second to none. I am not certain that I am going to sell the Jazz - the difference in price between that and a sadowsky is a lot and I'm not sure that i can justify the extra outlay.

Thanks for the informative response Alan. That's a good tip about the shielding will definitely look into it. There is always something with Fender manufacture isn't there! Difficult to believe the cost of shielding paint is so high, especially in bulk, not to just paint all cavities. My frets seem to be quite well finished so no playing problem so far, but then my technique is pretty crude. I use some "natural" compression most of the time, just part of my sound now. Certainly agree on the refinement of the NYC sound - even more than the more traditional UV70 sound. The most refined sound I ever had was on a Flamboyant Seibass 5er made for me by Martin at The Gallery. Sadly had to move that on at a time of fraught finances. Have you ever tried a Zon Sonus? Very refined tight sound on a good example - unless you have an issue with carbon fibre necks.

Hi Nas,
I had a Sei Flambouyant once as well - only it was a six stringer. I've never tried a Zon Sonus though I've heard good things about Zon generally. So many basses and so little money! I've also been thinking about a Musicman Stingray Classic - a very different sound of course to the jazz style of bass but they seem to look like they've managed to combine the best of the new with the old.

I found the Stingray to be a bit of a beast. Big, heavy, deeper neck profile than a Jazz. They do have quite a "zingy" sound which works well for disco, slap and more "modern" sounds. Going a bit in the opposite direction from the NYC which as standard has a slightly undersized Jazz body. Funny how one arrives over time and experience with different basses as a preferred configuration which seems to stick. I'm definitely "stuck" on the Fender Jazz - which I first fell in love with in about 1967. Wish I'd had the money to buy one back then! Watching people like Noel Redding, Hugh Hopper and John McVie it seemed to personify the "thinking man's" bass. I could never understand why Jack Bruce played a Gibson! Hope you get some more interest in the deluxe, still a winner in my view.

Hi Nas,
I find myself going 'round in circles about basses - sometimes I think that it would be great to have a really classic stingray then I pick up the jazz bass and wonder if I am going to miss the narrow neck, the ability to switch between the range of sounds you can get by blending the two pickups. I am not so bothered about selling the jazz - I might well end up hangin on to it after all if it's good enough for Marcus Miller it can;t be bad!

I sold my StingRay because although I loved the sound, I couldn't get on with the wide neck. After going round the houses a bit, I finally landed on a USA Deluxe Jazz and, for me, it's by far and away the best bass I've ever played.

If you do decide to sell it, good luck. Someone will have the chance to play a truly lovely instrument.

Hi Jacqueslemac, you could be right about the neck on the stingray... my original interest in selling was to help fund the purchase of a Sadowsky Jazz but somehow I seem to have drifted on to a stingray! Maybe I should keep the jazz and get a stngray as well!

• 2 weeks later...

If it's the Stingray's sound you like then I'd get that with a SLO neck, though the Sterling sounds pretty similar when the pickup selector is set to parallel. I've played a Sterling for the last few years and love it (I really wanted a 'Ray but the neck was too wide (I learned to play on a Jazz) and the SLO special hadn't been invented). The other difference is that the string spacing at the bridge of the Sterling is 1/16" narrower than on a 'Ray. Sadowsky string spacing is 19mm (3/4") which is the same as on a 'Ray. Not sure what it is on your Deluxe Jazz.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Hi Rob, thanks for your post. Well this is not entirely scientific but using my elctronic scales the weight seems to be about 9 1/2 Ibs - not sure how accurate that is as I had to hold the bass whilst standing on the scales as I couldn't get a reading any other way. I have a Moody Leather strap that I imported from the US which is terrific in balancing the bass and is very comfy. Hope that helps. Alan

[indent=1]The full spec is:
[b][size=3]Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 2011, [/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Body[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Body Material[/size][/b][size=3]: [/size]
[size=3](705, 700, 706) Alder
(721) Ash [/size]
[b][size=3]Body Shape[/size][/b][size=3]: Jazz Bass® [/size]
[b][size=3]Body Finish[/size][/b][size=3]: [/size]
[font=Symbol][size=2]· [/size][/font][size=3](0194580775, 0194580705, 0194580700, 0194582706)
Gloss Urethane Body Finish[/size][/indent]

N[b][size=3]eck[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Neck Shape[/size][/b][size=3]: Modern "C" Shape [/size]
[b][size=3]Number of Frets[/size][/b][size=3]: 21 [/size]
[b][size=3]Fret Size[/size][/b][size=3]: Medium Jumbo [/size]
[b][size=3]Position Inlays[/size][/b][size=3]: Black or White Pearloid Block Inlays [/size]
[b][size=3]Fingerboard Radius[/size][/b][size=3]: 9.5" (24.1 cm) [/size]
[b][size=3]Neck Material[/size][/b][size=3]: Maple [/size]
[b][size=3]Neck Finish[/size][/b][size=3]: Gloss Polyurethane Finish [/size]
[b][size=3]Nut Width[/size][/b][size=3]: 1.5" (38.1 mm) [/size]
[b][size=3]Scale Length[/size][/b][size=3]: 34" (86.36 cm) [/size]
[b][size=3]Neck Plate[/size][/b][size=3]: Asymmetrical 5-Bolt Neck Plate [/size]
[b][size=3]Neck Binding[/size][/b][size=3]: Bound Fingerboard [/size]
[b][size=3]Truss Rods[/size][/b][size=3]: Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods [/size]
[b][size=3]Truss Rod Nut[/size][/b][size=3]: 3/16" Adjustable Hex Nut [/size]

[b][size=3]Electronics[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Pickup Configuration[/size][/b][size=3]: S/S [/size]
[b][size=3]Bridge Pickup[/size][/b][size=3]: N3 Noiseless™ Jazz Bass® Bridge Pickup [/size]
[b][size=3]Neck Pickup[/size][/b][size=3]: N3 Noiseless™ Jazz Bass® Neck Pickup [/size]
[b][size=3]Pickup Switching[/size][/b][size=3]: Pan Pot [/size]
[b][size=3]Special Electronics[/size][/b][size=3]: Active Electronics [/size]
[b][size=3]Controls[/size][/b][size=3]: Master Volume, Pan Pot (pickup selector), Treble Boost/Cut, Midrange Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut, Active/Passive Mini Toggle [/size]

[b][size=3]Hardware[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Hardware Finish[/size][/b][size=3]: Chrome [/size]
[b][size=3]Bridge[/size][/b][size=3]: HMV, High Mass Vintage, (Strings-Thru-Body or Topload) [/size]
[b][size=3]Tuning Machines[/size][/b][size=3]: Fender® Lightweight Vintage Style Button Tuners [/size]
[b][size=3]String Nut[/size][/b][size=3]: Bone [b]Auxiliary Switching[/b]: Active/Passive Mini Toggle Switch [/size]

[b][size=3]Tools[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Truss Rod Wrench[/size][/b][size=3]: 3/16" "T-Style" Ball-End Hex (Allen) Wrench [/size]
[b][size=3]Saddle Height Wrench[/size][/b][size=3]: 1/16" Hex (Allen) Wrench [/size]

[b][size=3]Miscellaneous[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Strings[/size][/b][size=3]: Fender® USA Super Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges) [/size]
[b][size=3]Unique Features[/size][/b][size=3]: New N3 Noiseless Pickups, Improved electronics resulting in increased headroom, tighter low-end response, Active/passive toggle switch, Passive tone control for passive mode, Strong-Arm™ string retainer, HMV bridge, Genuine bone nut, Tinted neck, Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods, 5-Bolt Neck Plate, Contoured Heel for Easier Access to Upper Frets, Rolled Fingerboard Edges, Highly Detailed Nut and Fret Work, Flat head screws on battery compartment (for easy changes with a coin or pick), Black pearl (or white pearloid) dot inlays, Neck binding [/size]
[b][size=3]Accessories[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Case Gig Bags[/size][/b][size=3]: Molded rectangular SKB® case [/size]
[b][size=3]Pickguard[/size][/b][size=3]: 3-Ply Black [/size]
[b][size=3]Included Accessories[/size][/b][size=3]: Cable, Strap, Strap Locks [/size]
[b][size=3]Strap Locks[/size][/b][size=3]: Schaller® Strap Lock System [/size]
[b][size=3]Control Knobs[/size][/b][size=3]: Black Plastic Knobs[/size]

[b][size=3]Body[/size][/b]
[b][size=3]Body Material[/size][/b][size=3]: [/size]
[size=3](705, 700, 706) Alder
(721) Ash [/size]

Edited by Alanbass