Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5 2nd generation (slap cutaway)

bubinga5

Just got hold of one of these, thought i might do a review... never seen one on here

First impressions.. wow, you only have to hold one of these to know its going to be very good... rock solid neck and construction...

Features..

Two piece ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood FB, abalone dot markers solid gold hardware, 3 EQ Yamaha preamp with a 3 way mid selector, and Yamaha soap bars.. tweakable mids via the preamp.. very comprehensive EQ from this system..

Playability..

Apart from my third subject, this is where this bass shines...the action you can get from this bass is superb.. the lowest ive ever got from any bass... it really doesnt feel like your putting any pressure at all on the strings to sound a note... total ease... very comfortable sitting on knee or standing...the neck is fairly wide.. a bit like a Lakland 55 but they seem to flattened it somewhat... i love the 34 scale on this bass as it adds to the feel of comfort what with the mega low action, and the profile.... The cutaway of these TRB's are great to give a bit more access... no neck dive and balances well.. the only bad point is the slap cutaway, which is a little deep for me, will take some getting used to

Sound..

these TRB's are renowned for there classical clarity of tone, which is there... beautiful tone for a bass thats not a boutique... Chords sound wonderful on this bass... ive had a twiddle with the EQ and my favorite tone comes from its awsome mid range burp, but with both pups on full.. treble up two thirds... fantastic gospel growl.... these basses have such a bad ass side to them.. i cant really ind a jazz bass tone on this bass.. a slight P bass maybe.. its a modern sound but its a modern sound with LOTS of character

i had the TRBII and it was pretty much the same.. very polite when played that way, but when you want to get funky it does the business... Reggae, Jazz, Funk, Pop, Rock.. not alot you couldnt do with this bass...

Construction...

Built like a f***ing tank.. The Japanese know how to make a quality bass... as good as anything ive ever played...the neck on these older TRB's are sunken further back into the body, with 6 bolts.... people say this all the time, (including me) but this bass was about 1500 new in its day, but from the Sukops, STR's, Sei, ive played this is easily as good. basses like this make me think i dont need to spend thousands on a bass, and i think thats a great thing..

i do have a habit of bigging up new basses only to find faults later and trade looking like a monkey, but i really dig this bass.... the funny thing is its the cheapest bass ive ever had, but its prob the best...

Good review...
I've got a Japanese TRB5 (35" scale) that I've had for 11 years now. I love the way they build these things & they have a great modern bass tone.A really solid gigging bass that does the business.

The only two gripes (minor ones) are I have to lower the pickup heights fairly frequently, & when I do a string change, It's a bit of a nightmare fitting the B string, but I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the way the slot in the machine head has been cut?