Why become a member? ×

Vigier fretless

tempo

I went into town t'other day, with the intention of trying some Warwicks, cos I'm thinkin of splashing out on a Thumb 6 BO. I did try a streamer jazzman which btw was excellent, but not much else there to try. Then I noticed this 4string fretless Vigier, with a metal board. I had to have a go (even though I dont play 4's) it was amazing, a bit beat up, but built like a tank! The action was lower than most of my guitars, & the electronics were versatile to say the least.
So, I'm looking to find some more info on this (please Ped!) It had 2 single coils, 5 controls, of which 2 were push/pulls and a 3 way mini-toggle, plus 2 outputs!(?). It is obviously used and I would guess around 15yrs(ish) old. The price tag was £850, but they said that was negotiable, as it had been there for 1-2yrs, so I'm thinkin 700-750??

Any info appreciated, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Quite a find!! From the description it doesn't sound like it has the standard electronics. Was it an Arpege or a Passion body shape? If you can go in and take some snaps I will be able to tell you about it. The serial number, located above the bottom strap pin, will let you find out exactly when it was made from the 'date your bass' page on the Vigier site.

If it has had new electronics I would be interested to hear what is in it now. Perhaps they will let you look in the back? The standard Passion EQ circuit was great on the fretted basses but not so useful on the fretless which calls for more adjustment IMO and since having a U retro, mine has bloomed very nicely.

The Delta Metal fingerboard is just superb though. very striking and of course strong and resilient. I have just put some gold strings back on mine and it really is like nothing else! It cleans up really nicely too with a bit of polish.

Get as much info as you can - pictures, colour, neck info (all graphite/2 graphite rods visible from back of neck/no graphite) pickups (Should be Benedetti single coils as standard - amazing pickups!) and I will see what I can do!!

Gimme a shout on MSN if you ever use it. My address is in my profile.

Cheers
ped

P.s £700 sounds about right, though I would try and push further. It is obviously something they have had a while, something a bit different and not very mainstream so you could probably do even better. I got mine for £500 each!

Cheers for that Ped, I will go back and have another play next week, and also see how far they are prepared to budge! I think it was a passion shape, gloss black all over. It also had two metal runners either side of thru-neck, and one of the knobs was a sweep control of some sort, which really made it very vocal sounding.

Looking forward to more info and pics. How do you mean 'metal runners' - are they on the body? My fretless is a series 3 which is black all over and you can't see anything - here is a pic:

If it is the same shape as this but with lines on the body from the neck then it could be an older model, or an Arpege if the shape is different. This had some lines along the body like this one, sometimes in a V like this or straight:

[quote name='ped' post='161133' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:47 PM']Looking forward to more info and pics. How do you mean 'metal runners' - are they on the body? My fretless is a series 3 which is black all over and you can't see anything - here is a pic:

If it is the same shape as this but with lines on the body from the neck then it could be an older model, or an Arpege if the shape is different. This had some lines along the body like this one, sometimes in a V like this or straight:

[/quote]

Yes, thats it, the bottom one, only in gloss black. Same control layout, shape etc. If it had 2 more strings my bank would be empty already!

[quote name='tempo' post='161106' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:09 PM']I went into town t'other day, with the intention of trying some Warwicks, cos I'm thinkin of splashing out on a Thumb 6 BO. I did try a streamer jazzman which btw was excellent, but not much else there to try. Then I noticed this 4string fretless Vigier, with a metal board. I had to have a go (even though I dont play 4's) it was amazing, a bit beat up, but built like a tank! The action was lower than most of my guitars, & the electronics were versatile to say the least.
So, I'm looking to find some more info on this (please Ped!) It had 2 single coils, 5 controls, of which 2 were push/pulls and a 3 way mini-toggle, plus 2 outputs!(?). It is obviously used and I would guess around 15yrs(ish) old. The price tag was £850, but they said that was negotiable, as it had been there for 1-2yrs, so I'm thinkin 700-750??

Any info appreciated, Pete.[/quote]Hi Pete, was that in Curly Music? If so It's been in there for about a year. Haggle, Haggle. :)