Why become a member? ×

Solo Techniques

allighatt0r

In my band, i get a 12 bar solo in Johnny B. Goode, (standard fast blues in B flat) and i use the blues scale:

over about three octaves (starting at the 6th fret on the E string, and traveling up to the 15th fret of the G string).

I just tend to go a bit mental, just playing a lot of notes in the scale and using the occasional bend or hammer-on or whatever, trying to hit the E flat and F on the chord changes.

I just wanted to know if you guys have any idea of how to make it into a more structured real solo, instead of being a load of notes that fit?

Edited by allighatt0r

I totally agree....You don't have to hit the changes. Try and think melodically. If that involves singing an idea into a recorder and then learning it,thats great. Then,as you become more comfortable,try to improvise on what you have learned and gradually expand your on your original ideas.
Also,listen to what your guitarist plays in his solo-it may give you some reference as to what to play in your's.

Marty McFly: "... watch for the changes and try to keep up..."

But when you're soloing, just play blues licks. Nick them off blues guitarists: BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Otis Rush, Elmore James, Hubert Sumlin, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc. You could also nick blues licks off some rock n' roll guys like Chuck Berry himself.