Why become a member? ×

A question for Dave (OBBM)

GreeneKing

I was about to email Dave this question and thought that it may be of interest to other folk so here it is:

I'm setting up a new amp with a Summit Audio valve pre and a QSC RMX 850 power amp. In bridge mode the output of the amp is Speakon Pos +1 and Neg +2. Will the standard made up cable accommodate this okay or do I need a special cable made up for this? (I'll be ordering some new cables either way).

I've tried the amp at home semi detached cottage volumes and it sounds very warm indeed :) Nicely so.

Peter

At the time that your QSC was made there was only chassis-mount Speakon available was the 4-pole. More recent amps are now using a chassis mount version of the 2-pole Speakon.

Many Speakon to Speakon cables use the 2-pole Speakon connector as most amps and cabs only use terminals 1+/1- of the chassis mount 4-pole Speakon.

To tap into the bridged mode of your amp you need a 4-pole Speakon at the amp end of the cable, so either

a 4-pole Speakon (wired 1+/2+) to a 2-pole Speakon (wired 1+/1-)

or

a 4-pole Speakon (wired 1+/2+) to a 4-pole Speakon (wired 1+/1-)

will do the trick.

Hope I haven't confused.

Not at all Dave, I'll order one the right length and connectors and some other stuff I need sometime today :)

Is the 2 pole Speakon different in appearance to the 4 pole? If so it would help in identifying which end is which.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1317466410' post='1390949'] Is the 2 pole Speakon different in appearance to the 4 pole? If so it would help in identifying which end is which. Peter[/quote]

It is but I always label the amp end of the cable anyway.