Why become a member? ×

Pickups for Fretless bass

cfmusic01

Hi,

I have recently bought a fretless bass (which i love) and it needs a setup as the action is a little out. I have just bought some pressure wound strings for it and these are amazing.

The bass is relatively inexpensive - a Vintage V940, and I have been talking to some bass player friends who have said the bass would really benefit from a new set of Bartolini Pickups. I am not particularly knowledgeable about bass electronics. If i were to buy a new set of pickups would i need to buy a preamp with this - for example a Bartolini preamp - or could i just buy the pickups and just get them fitted?

I am also under the impression that there are a variety of Bartolini pickups - does anyone know which specifically are most suitable for fretless basses?

As i need to send the bass for a setup and general service and i have been prompted to consider new pickups i just thought i would find out some more information before sending as i thought i could buy some new pickups and get them fitted when it gets a setup.

Would really appreciate any advice/ guidance

Cheers

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1317157452' post='1387551']
Are you sure yourself that there's a need for new pickups? I mean, it doesn't matter what other people think if you like the tone you're getting out of it.
[/quote]

+1

They're quite nice basses those V940s, the one i had was really well put together and was generally a very good bass. The weak link is the preamp which, while decent enough for a cheapy bass, doesn't really do the bass justice.

I'd take it back to passive first (totally reversible and very cheap) and give it a setup if it needs one, preferably by someone who is experienced with fretless. The pickups should be Wilkinsons unless it's one of the really early ones (they've been around for about 10 years now!) so are decent units.

I agree that dropping over a ton on a set of Barts just because someone said so is a bit of an extreme measure, it's surprising how similar cheap-mid price pickups are compared to the pricey ones......

[quote name='cfmusic01' timestamp='1317151374' post='1387434']I have been talking to some bass player friends who have said the bass would really benefit from a new set of Bartolini Pickups.

I am also under the impression that there are a variety of Bartolini pickups - does anyone know which specifically are most suitable for fretless basses?
[/quote]
I love Barts, they're in my fretless. But anyone who recommends a brand of pickup without discussing the many highly varied choices they have is simply a fan boy.

Bart makes many variations, none are more suited for fretless. Some may be more suited for a particular fretless sound but they all work.

I wouldn't change pickups until you can articulate a specific change you are going for and have already tried to get that change by using the knobs you have now.