Why become a member? ×

Gig Dilemma Last Night

Pete Academy

There's a fair point that if people paid to see a gig, then it's not good to let them down. IMO though, there's a lot pf band's playing free gigs, if people are paying you, they should get to see a good band, not a last minute one.

Added to that, you're on that stage making a name for yourself and earning your reputation. If you sound crap because a member doesn't properly know the songs, it's your reputation that goes down the can.

My old old band once got a fella to cover for me when I couldn't make it years back when i was just starting playing. we actually got to have a run through with him before and it was odd- simple pop songs, simple indie pop basslines and he is showing off his double thumbing. I was quite glad i didn't get to hear that gig!
oh he also decided to correct all my 'wrong' notes in my lines- the fact i may have been choosing to play dissonant notes in parts was completely unheard of to him. could slap his way all over the bass, all that technique and he can't cope with, or understand the fact that I want to put a minor note in a major chord- because the song needs it- of course you will play the actual notes of the major chord...... anyway i digress

Our drummer recently buggered off and joined an emo band (I'm sure it happens all the time!), so we just broke out the acoustic guitars, had a re-think of the originals, threw in some new covers and decided we could do without him fine for a while! I used to play bass for an acoustic singer-songwriter friend of mine, so I already knew how to 'fill in' for a drummer, but if you know your drummer's going to be missing a rehearsal, give it a go - you might be surprised what you could come up with, even if all you do is hold in reserve for that unexpected absence. If you wanna try it out on an audience but without any pressure, take it to an open mic jam night and see how it goes down...

To be honest, though, if I was in the enviable position of charging over a tenner for a ticket, I'd burn a few of 'em on either getting into a studio and having a setsworth of the drums down as a quality 'backing track' to put through the PA, or on buying a drum machine which could be programmed up for such emergencies. Throw a black cloth over the house/support band's kit, explain your predicament (once) and unapologetically get on with it!