Why become a member? ×

Ashdown problems

JFielden

Hey!
I've recently purchased the Ashdown MAG300 2x10.
I've played through plenty of these, usually a head into cab not the combo version and I think the sound is good, however I think mine sounds absolutely terrible!

I use one in a rented rehearsal room (into an 8x10 cab, granted more power but tone should be similar) that I can just plug in and play, don't even need use the EQ I just run it flat, my amp couldn't be any different.

To get any bit of power out of it I have to activate the EQ, and for the band I'm in I drive up the mids a little, okay so that's expected but the thing that annoys me most is a horrible clanking noise when I'm playing I just can't seem to get rid of! I've questioned everything, whether it's my bass or even just my playing, but I have never experienced this offensive noise through any other amp! It winds me up more that I've already had this amp swapped due to a speaker fault and all other Ashdowns I have tried sound great off the bat!

If I'm doing something wrong tell me but any suggestions are welcome, I've only had it a couple of week and I'm already seriously considering selling it in favour for something else

Cheers guys

My old ABM used to sound much better after a good strip down and clean making sure to get plenty of Servisol into the EQ sliders whilst moving them up and down, squirt it into the volume, gain knobs and input sockets etc then leave it all to dry out before powering up. Then enjoy crackle free pots and in my case a much better sound.

hmmm... never been much of a fan of any of their amps tone-wise but have you tried it with another cab supplementing the 210.

Maybe you are having to drive it hard to get volume in some situations and I don't think they do this very well..and EQ becomes super-critical.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1316936386' post='1384438']Tweeters do tend to show up deficiencies in setup an technique, it is good for practice, but bad for doing stuff.

It is pretty likely the tweeter is connected with spade connectors that will pull off/push on. Put in a sticker saying which was which lug, and disconnect them.[/quote]

:)