Why become a member? ×

How robust is my Aux in?

mart

I've got a GB Shuttle 3 and am wondering if I can [i]safely [/i]run a guitar into the aux input while playing a bass through the main input.

I'd be taking the guitar signal from a Tech 21 Blonde pedal, and I'm fairly sure the sound is going to be ok for what I need, I just want to be sure I'm not risking the amp at all - my fears are based on the assumption that the aux in is designed for an mp3 player, not a real instrument. I'm not very clear on the difference, but I know it's not good to play a bass guitar through hi-fi speakers, so I'm guessing there are some relevant differences.

Anyone able to advise me? Thanks!

The aux input is designed to take a line input signal such as an mp3 player, as you guessed, a tape deck, cd player, keyboard etc whereas the normal input is for low level signals such as bass and guitar or any instrument that needs a preamp. It will work OK however, I'm not familiar with the Tech 21 Blonde pedal but you may find that it does not have enough output but then again it may. Try it and see, you won't damage your amp.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1316642827' post='1380977']
The aux input is designed to take a line input signal such as an mp3 player, as you guessed, a tape deck, cd player, keyboard etc whereas the normal input is for low level signals such as bass and guitar or any instrument that needs a preamp. It will work OK however, I'm not familiar with the Tech 21 Blonde pedal but you may find that it does not have enough output but then again it may. Try it and see, you won't damage your amp.
[/quote]
Thanks. If it definitely won't damage the amp, then I'll give it a go. I have to run the Blonde pedal at a low level to go into the front of an amp, so I suspect it'll happily provide a loud enough signal, but I'll report back once I've tried it.
Cheers!

Agreed. Just be sure to turn all the amp and pedal gains right down before plugging it all together and then slowly bring them up while you learn how everything behaves.

I know this is an egg-sucking lesson for Grandmothers but it never ceases to amaze me that people will happily plug stuff into amps on full volume etc. What amazes me even more is that they never seem to learn why there's a deafening click/buzz/howl as a result!

Just to report back: I tried it all out last night, and it worked fine. Levels weren't a problem at all (helped by the master vol on the Shuttle also affecting the aux in, and the Blonde having a good level control itself), and the sound was ok. It's not an ideal set-up, but it suits my needs for this weekend where space for kit is rather limited.

Thanks again for all the advice!