Why become a member? ×

OLP Active Upgrade with Bassmods / Wilkinson

hughie

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading the electronics on my OLP 4 string and finally ordered the bits.

In my search, I discovered these 2 things below.. If they are crap - so be it, at these prices, I'll change the naff bits ..

1. Bassmods preamps

- posted from USA £56. (all sorts of others on site including pre wired MM plate with 2band / 4 knob set up..

- You tube review .. Bassmods jazz plate preamp - YouTube.

- ebay .. Al's Music Source items - Get great deals on Pre-made Instrument Cables, Pre-made Master series cables items on eBay Stores!

2. Wilkinson pickups

- posted from HK £18.
- ebay .. EDEN Mart items - Get great deals on Guitar Pickguards, HARDWARE ELECTRONICS items on eBay Stores!

I bought some new machine heads too. Once installed I'll report the news ...

Ready to go ish ..

Hughie

[attachment=89449:OLP_MM.jpg]

I've had one of the Bassmods preamps. It's not bad at all. It's not exactly Stingray-like in its function, but it works well.

Never tried these Wilkinson pickups, so I can't say. I've used Wilkinson Jazz pickups and sounded alright but not fantastic, and some guitar humbuckers that I really liked... I suspect they will not be bad, but if they are the same they mount on the Vintage brand Stingray clones, I didn't like those.

Love those OLPs, but they do need a bit of help, don't they? :)

Cheers McNash .. I can see your's is the real deal and you must have a lot of hanging space for the various others :-)

My OLP certainly needs help (my wiring & pots disintegrated) but it can get v expensive. I did notice that the Kent Armstrong pus are only £51 so would probably try that next if the Wilki isn't up to snuff...

I saw a post from you on talkbass re the Uncle Fluffy diy pre-amps - have you got one of those?

• 1 month later...

Well, interim OLP update,

I decided to strip the bass to it's component parts and refinish it .. the original metallic blue OLP paint was a bit dodgy ..

Here's a few pics after a few coats of Halfords White Primer, all the parts and my little helper :-)

Routed hole is big enough for a tiger tank. Clear rear coverplate is template for doing it in black when that arrives..

[attachment=92392:CIMG4937.JPG] [attachment=92393:CIMG4938.JPG]

[attachment=92394:CIMG4939.JPG] [attachment=92395:CIMG4940.JPG]

[attachment=92396:CIMG4941.JPG]

[attachment=92397:CIMG4942.JPG] [attachment=92398:CIMG4943.JPG]

Next a bit of epoxy filler (in the post), re-prime , paint; which may be metallic bluey green & laquer. Lots of rubbing down in between of course !

Cheers .. Hughie

[quote name='hughie' timestamp='1316103958' post='1374678']
Cheers McNash .. I can see your's is the real deal and you must have a lot of hanging space for the various others :-)

My OLP certainly needs help (my wiring & pots disintegrated) but it can get v expensive. I did notice that the Kent Armstrong pus are only £51 so would probably try that next if the Wilki isn't up to snuff...

I saw a post from you on talkbass re the Uncle Fluffy diy pre-amps - have you got one of those?
[/quote]

I only just saw this thread continued after I went on holiday in September :)

I do have the circuit board to assemble the preamp, from UncleFluffy, but I have not used it.

[quote name='hughie' timestamp='1320172338' post='1423342']
Well, interim OLP update,

I decided to strip the bass to it's component parts and refinish it .. the original metallic blue OLP paint was a bit dodgy ..

Here's a few pics after a few coats of Halfords White Primer, all the parts and my little helper :-)

Routed hole is big enough for a tiger tank. Clear rear coverplate is template for doing it in black when that arrives..

[attachment=92392:CIMG4937.JPG] [attachment=92393:CIMG4938.JPG]

[attachment=92394:CIMG4939.JPG] [attachment=92395:CIMG4940.JPG]

[attachment=92396:CIMG4941.JPG]

[attachment=92397:CIMG4942.JPG] [attachment=92398:CIMG4943.JPG]

Next a bit of epoxy filler (in the post), re-prime , paint; which may be metallic bluey green & laquer. Lots of rubbing down in between of course !

Cheers .. Hughie
[/quote]

Looking nice in white!