Why become a member? ×

Replacement Eminence 6"

Nodd

I have an old but very useful Loco 6162 combo.
Over the years I have had to replace the two 6" drivers frequently, well every couple of years.
it was always a pair of 8ohm Eminence Alpha 6".
They used to be so cheap it wasn't worth worrying about.
One has just given up last night.
They seem to have lasted a bit longer this time, perhaps because I've been using my Walkabout.

This time I see that there are Alphalites and more choice of Eminence drivers, including the Alphalite.
It would be good to lose a few pounds, the combo is a touch heavy for its size.
Is anyone using, or has anyone used Eminence 6" drivers?
and if so, which would you recommend?
The speakers are front facing in a rear ported cab.
Nodd

Those are midrange drivers and completely wrong. Don't replace them with the same unit whatever you do. The Fane Sovereign 6 is only £20 and would probably do the job. [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FANSOV6-100&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FAN...semode=category[/url]

[quote name='Nodd' post='1371926' date='Sep 13 2011, 10:03 AM']Thank you Bill, amazingly they do work...for quite a while, advice gratefully received.

Stevie, I will have a look at the Fane, need to check overall depth, thank you.

All other comments gratefully received.

Nodd[/quote]That Fane will give no better a result than the Eminence. They may not be twins, but they are very close cousins. If you're looking for a significant improvement you'd need an Fs in the vicinity of 80Hz or lower, and xmax of at least 4mm. That gets you mainly into the realm of hi-fi drivers, and then you sacrifice sensitivity. There may be some pricey drivers that are better, but there's the rub, they would be pricey.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1371943' date='Sep 13 2011, 03:11 PM']That Fane will give no better a result than the Eminence.[/quote]
Yes, you have a point. They are more similar than I thought. I can't think of anything else off-hand that might work without being very quiet. At least the Fane would be cheaper.