Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 700 or Cort A4 custom

jynxterstu

Hi all
Just looking for any comments on the ibanez 700 and the Cort A4 custom.
Feel, sound, build quality and the likes.

I currently have a Fender jazz (MIM) and a Cort Ltd. Playability wise i prefer the Cort due to the slim wenge neck, but for sound it has to be the jazz.
I do prefer the style/ shape Ibanez and Cort over the Fenders, hence I am considering the two above, in an attempt to gain the playability and the sound in one bass.

As i have not heard or played either i could do with some opinions.

Cheers folks

Cort all the way. Their custom seiries are beautiful basses. Honestly though, play both, you may prefer the Ibanez. Consider this though, Cort make something stupid like 40% of the world's basses, lots of Fender, Gibson and IBANEZ basses are actually made at the Cort plant so, bassicaly they will see any problems/good things on other basses and will either sort them out on their own or replicate them. A hidden gem.

[quote name='jynxterstu' post='1368828' date='Sep 10 2011, 07:36 PM']Hi all
Just looking for any comments on the ibanez 700 and the Cort A4 custom.
Feel, sound, build quality and the likes.

I currently have a Fender jazz (MIM) and a Cort Ltd. Playability wise i prefer the Cort due to the slim wenge neck, but for sound it has to be the jazz.
I do prefer the style/ shape Ibanez and Cort over the Fenders, hence I am considering the two above, in an attempt to gain the playability and the sound in one bass.

As i have not heard or played either i could do with some opinions.

Cheers folks[/quote]

I doubt if there's much difference in quality betweeen the Ibanez and the Cort. I'd go so far as to say that at that level, they're cousins.

However I dont think Ibanez's/Cort's will do a traditional jazz sound, especially with humbucker pickups. The now defunct
Ibanez EDB series had jazz-style pickups and made a fair stab at a jazz sound, but it's a modern interpretation of a jazz.

Neck width at the first fret is the same as the Jazz at 38mm. So it must be the neck profile that's making the diference.
A quick look on the Fender site showed four neck shapes. There's "C" shape, modern "C" shape, thin "C" shape and slim "C" shape. You could check them all out before you jump in and buy.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='1369976' date='Sep 11 2011, 10:57 PM']I doubt if there's much difference in quality betweeen the Ibanez and the Cort. I'd go so far as to say that at that level, they're cousins.

However I dont think Ibanez's/Cort's will do a traditional jazz sound, especially with humbucker pickups. The now defunct
Ibanez EDB series had jazz-style pickups and made a fair stab at a jazz sound, but it's a modern interpretation of a jazz.

Neck width at the first fret is the same as the Jazz at 38mm. So it must be the neck profile that's making the diference.
A quick look on the Fender site showed four neck shapes. There's "C" shape, modern "C" shape, thin "C" shape and slim "C" shape. You could check them all out before you jump in and buy.

Balcro.[/quote]
Thanks balcro,
Never thought to go into the tec side of neck configuration. The neck on the Jazz is slim, i just cant seem to get the strings as low as the cort,
so for me its not so easy to play. I have had the Jazz looked at to get the strings lower but there as low as possible without lots of fret buzz.

I should have said at the start it is not so much the Jazz tone, but the variety of tones i can get out off it compared to my Cort Ltd.

I need to go and do a bit of testing i think.

Anyone know of a music shop in the Midlands that does Cort & Ibanez so i can teke the Jazz and compare.
Thanks all
Stu :)