Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

to customise or not to customise?

zerofocus

So i have a Yamaha John Myung RBXJM2

and its a great bass with a great sound but I have noticed that John Myungs Version of this has an extra pickup compared to the released series

check out the Dream Theater Live Budokan show where he is using the silver version of this bass

now heres my idea

i am tempted to add a bartonli fat stack pickup to the bass in the same position as he has his extra pickup

this will give the bass a lot more attack which i feel is missing a little from this bass

do you think its an idea to go forward with or not??

I noticed that when I bought that DVD, namely that I was commenting that even Myung didn't like his signature bass in standard form! The bass surely won't have a massive resale value so you're not damaging anything really valuable if you do fit another pickup.

If it changes the bass for better and you're happy with the bass then that would be great, but it sounds like a big job on a cheaper instrument like the RBXJM2, which will need to go to a luthier to have the front routed for the new pickup and a pickup selector control added. And given the finish on the front I imagine it will be a tricky job to do, not as simple as just stripping a finish off a natural finish bass and routing the pickup space out.

So give this some serious consideration. In my opinion, the RBXJM2 was never a good bass and I considered buying one until I got my hands on a couple and realised I didn't like them at all. If you go to all this trouble it might still not be great, and the lack of tonal quality that you've identified now could be due to any number of things, not just the lack of a pickup right next to the bridge. I would consider selling and moving on. I suspect a TRB1006 would suit you well if you're into Yamaha basses.

I spent a bit upgrading my "std" RBX170 F/L and am enjoying the improvements. New pups, bridge and VVT now rather than VBT as it came. Definitely cost more that the bass was worth, but no resale planned so I'm not that bothered.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369205' date='Sep 11 2011, 10:57 AM']I noticed that when I bought that DVD, namely that I was commenting that even Myung didn't like his signature bass in standard form! The bass surely won't have a massive resale value so you're not damaging anything really valuable if you do fit another pickup.

If it changes the bass for better and you're happy with the bass then that would be great, but it sounds like a big job on a cheaper instrument like the RBXJM2, which will need to go to a luthier to have the front routed for the new pickup and a pickup selector control added. And given the finish on the front I imagine it will be a tricky job to do, not as simple as just stripping a finish off a natural finish bass and routing the pickup space out.

So give this some serious consideration. In my opinion, the RBXJM2 was never a good bass and I considered buying one until I got my hands on a couple and realised I didn't like them at all. If you go to all this trouble it might still not be great, and the lack of tonal quality that you've identified now could be due to any number of things, not just the lack of a pickup right next to the bridge. I would consider selling and moving on. I suspect a TRB1006 would suit you well if you're into Yamaha basses.[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion

I will definitely take it into consideration

I'm tempted to buy a tech 21 sansamp bass driver to help the tone, that way no "damage" to my bass and I can use the same sound for all my basses

thanks again