Why become a member? ×

Playing a new Genre of music

BottomE

Recently at home i sometimes noodle over jazz standards on a fretless bass. Saw an ad the other day looking for a bass player to join a small jazz unit - bass/keys/drums/vox. Against my instinct i called and did a session with them. I have never played jazz in a band before or taken the fretless out or even plugged it into my amp!

To be honest it left me a bit depressed :)

There was sheet music - i can read chords but am no great reader or theorist. Many of the songs had to be transposed on the fly - ouch. My walking bass was ok when needed but i struggled to keep up with some of the fast changes whilst transposing at the same time. All in all we did about 15 tracks and i probably did ok on half of them.

Thing is, everyone was very nice and we all said we'd get together soon etc but i'd hate to be the one who is dragging his heels and letting others down. The positive is that in a sense it was a bit of a breakthrough - the negative is realising how much work needs to be done.

Just wondering what you guys would do - any tips, advice?

Thanks

I think the question you've got to ask yourself is 'do I want to do this?'
If the answer is a genuine yes, then go for it.
I have played for several years as part of a church band, often as the leader.
We've always had a floating list of players, people come and go,and we often have to recruit and develop newcomers.
What I've come to believe is that commitment is far more important overall than experience. (just my opinion of course). Give me keen newbie over an un-commited smartass any day.
So, if you want to do it, if you've got the passion AND your bandmates are patient and supportive, go for it!

If they're not able to give you the time and support you need it's probably not the one for you.

Hope that helps

Personally I would have run and hid somewhere!

That's a pretty demanding session and it sounds like you did well for a first attempt at a new genre.

I guess start to look at what scales and arpeggios go over certain chords and get stuck into some jazz standard progressions, you might find some useful stuff here: [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/free-video-bass-lessons/"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/free-video-bass-lessons/[/url]

Just got to be positive and get stuck in, hopefully it's the beginning of another musical adventure.

First thing I'd say is be frank with them about where you are at, if they are happy for you to find your way over time then you are in an excellent environment to be pulled along really quickly... there is nothing like 'doing it' to get better at... doing it!
The conditions sound a little tough tbh, so I would be asking for a bit of notice of the material to maybe sketch things in the right key and have a look at some of the trickier reading/changes, you will sound so much better if you are a bit prepared and have an idea of how the stuff goes.
If you enjoy the process then you will find challenge for life in the music... Jazz can be great when played well, and will provide never ending possibilities for improvement as a player, also learning to be adept with changes will stand you in the greatest stead for being creative and composing basslines in any genre as creating walking lines is the bedrock of getting good at expressing yourself harmonically.... lines lines lines...

Jazz is one of those areas that can make or break players. It a good learning experience for sure, and if they're willing to give you a go, then go for it.

Do you have an iPhone? If you have, get iRealB app. A fake book in app form. The new version doesn't come with the 900+ charts anymore. But I have the preference file saved, so they can be reloaded back into the app :) All fully transposable charts in digital, fit in your pocket form!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1365639' date='Sep 7 2011, 07:27 PM']First thing I'd say is be frank with them about where you are at, if they are happy for you to find your way over time then you are in an excellent environment to be pulled along really quickly... there is nothing like 'doing it' to get better at... doing it![/quote]

Yes, i think they got the picture about where i am at :)

But you gotta start somewhere i guess. The toughie is that in my band i am confident and doing a load of good gigs - right in the comfort zone. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth to be the noob and the one that needs to do the most work.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1365672' date='Sep 7 2011, 07:52 PM']Do you have an iPhone? If you have, get iRealB app. A fake book in app form. The new version doesn't come with the 900+ charts anymore. But I have the preference file saved, so they can be reloaded back into the app :) All fully transposable charts in digital, fit in your pocket form![/quote]
Wow! That sounds ace. Is there a version for the PC?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1365736' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:41 PM']iRealB is iOS only I think. They have website, so do a search and check it out. I have a few fake books in PDF format if you're interested.[/quote]
I'll check it out. I have some real books thanks :)

Edit: from the irealb website.

Our equivalent Mac app version of iReal b should be ready for release in a month or so. We need to bring it up-to-date with the new version of iReal b v4 just released.
[url="http://irealb.com/page18/"]http://irealb.com/page18/[/url]
However we are not planning a PC version at the moment.

It was a whole different experience though playing in a band than it is at home jamming along with Jamie Abersol mp3's. At home i can always just go back to the beginning of a verse/chorus and start again if i get a tricky bit. In the band situation i had to jump back in if i got a bit lost (even if not quite sure of where we were in the song).

Edited by BottomE

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='BottomE' post='1365614' date='Sep 7 2011, 07:09 PM']Recently at home i sometimes noodle over jazz standards on a fretless bass. Saw an ad the other day looking for a bass player to join a small jazz unit - bass/keys/drums/vox. Against my instinct i called and did a session with them. I have never played jazz in a band before or taken the fretless out or even plugged it into my amp!

To be honest it left me a bit depressed :)

There was sheet music - i can read chords but am no great reader or theorist. Many of the songs had to be transposed on the fly - ouch. My walking bass was ok when needed but i struggled to keep up with some of the fast changes whilst transposing at the same time. All in all we did about 15 tracks and i probably did ok on half of them.

Thing is, everyone was very nice and we all said we'd get together soon etc but i'd hate to be the one who is dragging his heels and letting others down. The positive is that in a sense it was a bit of a breakthrough - the negative is realising how much work needs to be done.

Just wondering what you guys would do - any tips, advice?

Thanks[/quote]

I'm not seeing the problem, it seems to me that this streatches you in a healthy way. Being able to make a decent stab at half the songs on a first get together isnt too shabby at all unless they are expecting a professional session/dep level player. I would just go for it.