Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier Jaguar Pickup Upgrade?

DaveMuadDib

Hi guys,

I've got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. It's my "backup" bass and it plays well and looks like my dream come true, however the sound is not phenomenal at all. So my question is: what can I do to improve this? The Duncan Designed pickups are good, but they just seem to sound a little bit flat. So what would you guys recommend, and are there any success stories out there?

I usually play quite rocky stuff, like Ozzy Osbourne, RATM, Metallica etc, but I often mellow it down a bit as well. The bass has a P/J pickup configuration, and ideally, I would like a humbucking jazz p'up of some description for the bridge.

Dave

I have the shortie version, and the jazz pickup on that is even worse :) I too have been looking at a replacement, so would be interested to hear peoples views. Saying that though, the bass is superb for the money.

I'm thinking though of going down the Wizard pup route though, as they always get good reviews and the prices are very good.

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='1362761' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:22 PM']Hi guys,

I've got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. It's my "backup" bass and it plays well and looks like my dream come true, however the sound is not phenomenal at all. So my question is: what can I do to improve this? The Duncan Designed pickups are good, but they just seem to sound a little bit flat. So what would you guys recommend, and are there any success stories out there?

I usually play quite rocky stuff, like Ozzy Osbourne, RATM, Metallica etc, but I often mellow it down a bit as well. The bass has a P/J pickup configuration, and ideally, I would like a humbucking jazz p'up of some description for the bridge.

Dave[/quote]
"The Duncan Designed pickups are good" - they're as good as you get in a budget range bass, possibly, but not to be confused with the 'Real Seymour Duncan Pick ups' which will give you a lot more - everything!

Cheerz, John

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1362771' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:35 PM']I have the shortie version, and the jazz pickup on that is even worse :) I too have been looking at a replacement, so would be interested to hear peoples views. Saying that though, the bass is superb for the money.

I'm thinking though of going down the Wizard pup route though, as they always get good reviews and the prices are very good.[/quote]

I've got a Wizard on my Fender Jazz Special, and it has revolutionised everything! Think that might be the way forward.

They are indeed cracking basses. But is there any hope? Will pups alone make this into a great instrument? I installed a seymour duncan invader into my old Squier Stratocaster and the difference was phenomenal, but does the same apply to four strings?

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1362775' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:38 PM']"The Duncan Designed pickups are good" - they're as good as you get in a budget range bass, possibly, but not to be confused with the 'Real Seymour Duncan Pick ups' which will give you a lot more - everything!

Cheerz, John[/quote]

"Good" was perhaps a bit of an overstatement :) So the difference between the "designed" and "real" is huge, right?

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='1362783' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:43 PM']I've got a Wizard on my Fender Jazz Special, and it has revolutionised everything! Think that might be the way forward.

They are indeed cracking basses. But is there any hope? Will pups alone make this into a great instrument? I installed a seymour duncan invader into my old Squier Stratocaster and the difference was phenomenal, but does the same apply to four strings?[/quote]

Yes, I think it does. Simple upgrades can make a noticeable difference. But first and foremost great tone comes from the player. Having better 'bits' in your bass just help realise it a bit more.

I can great tones out of the Jaguar SS as stock. But the P-bass pickup is far better than the J-bass one. Unlike the bigger 34" Jaguars, the shorties don't have the Seymour Duncan designed pups, or stacked knob volumes dooberies! I did swap out the J-bass pup on the Jag SS with a GFS pro wind pickup from my fretless bass. Now on the Jag SS it didn't make any difference at all, while on my SX Jazz the difference was really noticeable with the GFS's. I think on the Jag SS getting a hotter output pup for the bridge would help balance out the pickups more. This is just an excuse for modding though, as I like doing it. I'm sure I could live with the J-bass pup if I had too :)

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='1362786' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:44 PM']"Good" was perhaps a bit of an overstatement :P So the difference between the "designed" and "real" is huge, right?[/quote]
Yeah a big difference - but other pick ups are also available :) . For example my Frank Bello Bass is a P/J which came with a 1/4lb P & a SCN J pick up. The SCN was always weak compared to the Bass Lines so I fitted a J 1/4lb also, now it is a real beast :D
I've fitted a Dimarzio to my '57 P & that is wonderful :) crystal clear note definition,very 'pure'.
Depends what sound you're looking for, but certainly replacing standard pups are one of the biggest upgrades you can make & generally speaking - you get what you pay for :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

• 4 weeks later...