Why become a member? ×

road worn confusion

notable9

Hi all,

Im going nuts! Im interested in getting a Road Worn jazz bass in nitro but cant seem to figure how many different types their are.

I can see the Mex 60's one is popular but is there a RW jazz in the American 62 Vintage series, which i would prefer i think.

Gratious thanks

Ian

[quote name='notable9' post='1360152' date='Sep 2 2011, 05:27 PM']Hi all,

Im going nuts! Im interested in getting a Road Worn jazz bass in nitro but cant seem to figure how many different types their are.

I can see the Mex 60's one is popular but is there a RW jazz in the American 62 Vintage series, which i would prefer i think.

Gratious thanks

Ian[/quote]

The AV series doesn't have any relicked basses in the range. The Roadworn are all Mexican

EDIT: The AV series are all finished in nitro though so buy one and use it for a few years and it'll be roadworn :)

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1360168' date='Sep 2 2011, 05:39 PM']The AV series doesn't have any relicked basses in the range. The Roadworn are all Mexican

EDIT: The AV series are all finished in nitro though so buy one and use it for a few years and it'll be roadworn :)[/quote]

Thanks Dirk,
So are you saying all the roadworn basses are Mex and that they are finished in nitro?

And what about the Mex 60's Jazz is that nitro or poly.

Much appreciation

Ian

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='1360205' date='Sep 2 2011, 06:08 PM']The Mex 60's Roadworn Jazz is a nitro finish.

Tried an American Vintage and several others but walked out the door with the Roadworn. Nice weight, comfortable neck and very playable. Great bass[/quote]

I've always been a bit sceptical of the factory relic thing but the RW seem to be amazingly good basses. Never heard a bad word about them. I was looking for a Jazz recently and I came close to buying one but in the end I liked the colour of the sunburst on the CS '64 and I managed to find a used one at a decent price.

Edited by DirkThrust

The Mexican Classic range, 50s Precision, 60s & 70s Jazz are finished in poly.

The Roadworn, which are also Mexican, are finished in nitro.

And darn fine basses they are. I`m not too keen on fake relicing, but I played one of the Precisions, and, aside for a Fender Custom Shop Pino Palladino Signature Precision, the RW was easily the most comfortable bass I`ve ever played. Just like those comfy old joggers, or your fave battered sofa, it just felt "right". I will definately get myself one, one day.