Why become a member? ×

Down on power

508pir

[quote name='508pir' post='1356775' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:06 PM']I have a 1983 MIJ precision lyte which is really down on output. Considering it's active it's far quieter than my passives. Obviously changed battery. Any ideas?[/quote]

Active doesn't imply louder.
Have you noticed a drop in output, or has it always been like that?

Some preamps have a trim pot that allows you to adjust the gain.
Some don't: just turn up your amp's input gain knob for that bass.

If matching basses is an issue (using two very different output bases can result in very different sounds from FX etc) then you may want to use something like an MXR microamp pedal or even an EQ pedal as a first box in your chain, which you can turn on when using that bass only, adjusting output to match that of other basses).

[quote name='mcnach' post='1356784' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:13 PM']Active doesn't imply louder.
Have you noticed a drop in output, or has it always been like that?

Some preamps have a trim pot that allows you to adjust the gain.
Some don't: just turn up your amp's input gain knob for that bass.

If matching basses is an issue (using two very different output bases can result in very different sounds from FX etc) then you may want to use something like an MXR microamp pedal or even an EQ pedal as a first box in your chain, which you can turn on when using that bass only, adjusting output to match that of other basses).[/quote]
Played two festivals recently . Both times sound engineer said signal was really weak. Had to crank amp up to such a level that my passive precision would take your head off.