Why become a member? ×

Any ideas what this is

Pow_22

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUIER-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-RED-LOVELY-DECAL-/280718456763?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2309889309540164146"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUIER-FENDER-PR...889309540164146[/url]

Says squier bass with fender decal but the neck lacks the usual squier skunk stripe and i cant see a truss rod hole on the headstock so assume its at the body end, did squier ever do this?

Im after a red squire to 'tart' up with a tort scratch, wizard pups and a KIOgon wiring loom but feel this might be an even cheaper brand than squier?

Edited by Pow_22

Pictures aren't great, but something tells me this isn't a squier. Could be great for the money or could be an absolute dog. I'd say play it safe and look for a second-hand squier affinity, I doubt you'd pay more than that but at least you know it'll be a decent bog-standard guitar.

That looks very like my early 90's Indian built Encore. The string tree is exactly the same, similar body shape, the control knob spacing, the naturally aged pick-up covers & the no-skunk stripe neck. Mine is one of the limited edition pearlescent white ones & has a solid ash body. Not bad basses at all & certainly much better than later Encores. If it is one of those, as long as it has no major defects it's got to be worth a punt at £65. I think there are some old Encore fans on here who would be able to confirm whether it is or not. The only thing that makes me wonder if it is an Encore is the truss rod adjustment on mine is at the headstock end of the neck & I can't tell from the pics of this one whether it's there or not.

Decided to take a punt on this. Picked it up this morning after haggling a £60 price tag. The bass was filthy but definitely has potential. The electrics are shot and the frets big brass efforts. I plan to rewire it with some Wizard Thumpers or Trads, fit a tort plate, flats and give it a damn good clean! Really nice player acoustically and the frets seem easy enough to get on with. The logo is wierd, it doesnt seem to be a waterslide decal, more like its almost branded or burnt into the headstock the lacquered over. Will try and do a build diary on it.