Why become a member? ×

Korg ax3000b

Motocross_nick

[quote name='Motocross_nick' post='156336' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:17 PM']hey, has anyone here got a korg ax3000b? if so how are the preamp models on it?

if they turn out ot be naff il get a line6 podxt, as this would be my main use but the korg is so much cheaper and has the expression pedal.

cheers, Nick[/quote]

Got one on loan but I bought a Pod XT Live instead 3 weeks ago. There's some things on it I really like - slow attack, one of the synth vcoder-type sounds, but I prefer the modelling in the Line 6 and there's certainly a lot more of them to choose from, and the knobs on the Korg don't look like they'd stand up to much, but I really like the led display rows next to the pedal so you can see exactly what setting it is on in the dark. And it has more pretty red lights. The POD has a USB port if thats important to you (is to me!). The pedal on the POD can be asigned as well, and there's a big expansion pedal board as well some here have got.

I took photos of it as I got it out of the box and keep meaning to do a review - so may do that this weekend and a comparrison.

[quote name='Motocross_nick' post='156377' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:41 PM']Thanks for the info man, so overall you'd say the pod is better and worth the difference in price? theres a podxt here for sale on the forums for pretty cheap, thinkin bout getting that and then buying a cheap midi board after. Or would it be better to go with the live straight off do you think?[/quote]

No idea about Midi - never used it. I've posted a feature request to Line 6 for the option to ditch some of the fx and replace them with others via a firmware update or utilising the USB port in some way but they haven't come back to me yet. I bought the POD as I'd had a bonus that I wasn't expecting come through, I was going for the Zoom B2.1u actually.

Overall the build quality of the POD is better than the Korg, it's heavier - being made of a thicker gauge steel and the knobs at the back are metal, although the 2 knobs either side of the LCD on the POD are plastic and a bit weedy but generally gives the impression it's built to last. You've also got the software downloads with the POD that really help. The Korg pedal has a longer travel and therefore is a bit easier to accurately fine-tune your sound, especially with the LED display alongside it. The presets on the POD are a bit naff, but Ped recommended going through and checking out every combination of cabs and amps - which I'm [b]still [/b]in the process of doing: some I love, some I really don't. I wrote a simple spreadsheet with amps down one side and cabs along the top and mark them out of 10 - it's on this forum somewhere as a pdf. As I said I'll try to get the comparison done over the weekend and post it in the Reviews section.

Hey!

Well i am a massive believer in the AX3000B and for me it is perfect! I use it in conjunction with other singles, hence my signature, but i would be more than confident to use it on it's own as i used to. The amp modelling is quite nice on this pedal i think, to be honest i've never been a massive fan of the concept, but there's some really nice O/Ds and Fuzzes on here. Personally i use it mainly for modulation, as i can really go mental combining FX for some of the spaced out sounds i use with the band. I am currently moving away from using a multi, but due to cash issues i've had to leave my expansion on hold for the moment (!), but nevertheless if you are after a simple, effective and comprehensive multi, look no further.

In all honesty though, it sounds like a POD would be for you, especially considering how highly rated it is for it's amp modelling and together with other such features as the USB Editting Suite and the DI. It's totally up to you, but atleast try and give one a test run before you buy, 'cause you don't wanna waste your money!

Edited by EskimoBassist

The amp modeling is better on the Pod XT Live but I didn't really use that. I found the "bog standard" effects which I use most (chorus, delay, envelope follower etc) to be better on the Korg so I sold my Pod XT live and used the money to buy an AX3000b and a second hand EBS Multicomp - my basses have never sounded better. (I found the compression on both the Pod and Korg to be pretty mediocre to be honest).
Horses for course and all that...
Also, you can get a brand new AX3000b for under £130 online.

I'd tend to agree - the effects on the AX3000B are better, and easier to selct but I bought the POD to avoid having to lug the amp to church and to be able to plug directly into the PA and then model any amp/cab I want and rely on the foldback - although I did miss having the 15" speaker next to me! I tend to be fairly subtle when it comes to effects, and I also have a CS-2 that I use - had it since the 80's. The synth stuff is certainly more usable on the Korg - the POD stuff is - IMHO - plain rubbish and unusable, and I'd rather have a decent slow attack and a de-fret. Also never did understand why you need 5 distortions, 3 compressors, 4 choruses, etc. 2 of each max would be good enough, surely! But you'll never get the perfect balance of seperate fx in a multi anyway - it's a personal thing. I like my POD, but if I was offered a Korg cheap I'd jump at it.

Edited by FJ1200

What's the octaving like on the AX3000B? I've been exploring the octaving on various bits of kit I've got knocking about and the best so far by a long way is an el cheapo Zoom RFX-1000, beating the laggy Lexicon MPX-100 and the ghastly sounding and poorly tracking Digitech BP-200 into respective cocked hats.

[quote name='tauzero' post='157440' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:34 PM']What's the octaving like on the AX3000B? I've been exploring the octaving on various bits of kit I've got knocking about and the best so far by a long way is an el cheapo Zoom RFX-1000, beating the laggy Lexicon MPX-100 and the ghastly sounding and poorly tracking Digitech BP-200 into respective cocked hats.[/quote]

I find sometimes on the POD it can drop out a bit on the lower registers but also has the Boss OC-2 modelled - 1 and 2 octaves down. The AX has a pitch shifter too though and can do 1 or 2 up as well which would be nice on the POD. I'll get the AX out of the box over the wekend if it hasn't been collected and do a side-by-side comparrison, maybe some short vids/audio as well. I like the octaver though. Always wanted one. The auto-wah is a bit stronger on the Korg too I think. de-fret is a bit naff though - I was disapointed anyway. The Zoom one is supposedly better.

I'm starting to think maybe I need an AX3000B or the B2.1u [i]as well as[/i] a POD - GAS attack comming on I think!!

Edited by FJ1200

Started the review - see the Reviews section or follow the link below. Due to the size of the avi videos I need to resample them - 600MB is a bit big I think! Put some photos on though.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15379&st=0#entry158098"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0#entry158098[/url]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='FJ1200' post='156366' date='Mar 12 2008, 11:25 PM']The pedal on the POD can be asigned as well[/quote]

I have the korg and the expression pedal on that can be assigned to vol, wah, or to edit differet perameter aspects of the effects