Why become a member? ×

Connecting existing bass amp into external power amplifier

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hello all!

I have a Markbass SA450 amp, and I am considering buying a power amplifier to give me some more headroom on my bigger gigs with one cabinet (a Barefaced Compact) such as this one:

This, by the looks of things, has an XLR in on the back and in mono configuration outputs 600w at 8 ohms which is double of the Markbass SA450.

Would this interface okay with the XLR out on the amp? The SA450 also has an adjustable line out level which could prove very handy for setting the level right going into the power amp. My logic here is I can take this with me in the boot of my car and if it turns out I need for volume I can whip it out and gain instantly much more headroom.

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Or a second compact/midget would probably be a better choice.. 4 ohm load and more speaker area....

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' post='1349182' date='Aug 23 2011, 05:04 PM']Hello all!

I have a Markbass SA450 amp, and I am considering buying a power amplifier to give me some more headroom on my bigger gigs with one cabinet (a Barefaced Compact) such as this one:

This, by the looks of things, has an XLR in on the back and in mono configuration outputs 600w at 8 ohms which is double of the Markbass SA450.

Would this interface okay with the XLR out on the amp? The SA450 also has an adjustable line out level which could prove very handy for setting the level right going into the power amp. My logic here is I can take this with me in the boot of my car and if it turns out I need for volume I can whip it out and gain instantly much more headroom.

Any advice would be great appreciated![/quote]

This is the problem mate - sometimes, I have been hitting the limiter on my amp which feels really nasty 'under my hands'. Would using a power amp like this be an effective solution?

My girlfriend actually also has a Barefaced Compact which I can use on a few occasions, but for a number of reasons I don't want to take it around all of the time :) it's not technically mine for one!

Edited by sockdeluxe_mikey

You could always add another Compact to your collection :-)

And as Bill says you'll get 5-6 dB from the second cab, but only 3 db at best from the power amp....

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' post='1349292' date='Aug 23 2011, 06:41 PM']This is the problem mate - sometimes, I have been hitting the limiter on my amp which feels really nasty 'under my hands'. Would using a power amp like this be an effective solution?

My girlfriend actually also has a Barefaced Compact which I can use on a few occasions, but for a number of reasons I don't want to take it around all of the time :) it's not technically mine for one![/quote]

Edited by markstuk

Mike, you're welcome to borrow my rack power amp for a gig or two to see if it makes a useful difference. My gut feeling is that you'd need an amp with a good limiter and highpass filtering so you can use the extra power to its full extent, in which case 2-3x as much power plus nice compression at full tilt could feel like a 6dB gain. But the proof is in the pudding!