Why become a member? ×

FS Dean Edge q4 Tiger's Eye Bartolini pickups - SOLD!

dc2009

[s]F[/s]or sale or trade is my Dean Edge q4 Bartolini. The q stands for the quilt maple top, which makes this one hell of a looker. This model doesn't seem to be made anymore, at least not available to the UK. The current Edge q4 is also not available in this fantastic Tiger's Eye colour.

This has Bartolini neck and bridge soapbar pickups and a 2-band active EQ, with a fairly standard set of controls: Master Vol, Blend, Treble and Bass. These sound great, very bright with roundwounds but beautifully clear and crisp.

Specs nicked from the Bill Lewington site (Dean UK distributor):[list]
[*]Quilt Maple Top
[*]Basswood Body
[*]34" Scale & 1-9/16" Nut
[*]Grover Tuners & Black Hardware
[*]Bartolini Pickups w/Active Electronics / Specs:
[*]Neck: BARBB4CB
[*]Bridge: BARBB4D2
[*]Bolt-on Maple & Walnut 5-piece Neck
[*]Rosewood Fingerboard
[*]Dot Inlays
[*]24 Frets
[/list]
The neck is by far the thinnest I have ever played, but is still not too thin so as to be whippy or bendable! Very fast too and a lovely profile. This bass is also tremendously light, I'm not sure how light but I can try and find out, but is lighter than any other bass I have ever owned. The body is very thin too, and nicely sculpted to rest your arm on in various positions.

This was the second bass I ever bought, and was an unbelievable step up from a MM copy, and was fine enough for years for me until I ordered a CS Warwick 5. Unfortunately with my trio of beloved 5ers, it just never gets played. It's in fantastic condition, and will be supplied with a slightly knackered gig bag, but this will be inside a guitar box for shipping so have no fear.

The non-Bartolini pickup version of this bass, which is no longer available in this colour is currently listed with an RRP of £519 according to Bill Lewington's UK Dean price list. Obviously this is second hand but it is in great nick (edit: found 2 barely noticeable scratches on the edge of the body <2mm long, could easily be sanded out, and a slight ding on the top of the headstock). The value of these is hard to place. The non-Bartolini versions of this seem to go for about £200 on here, and as I mentioned above is about £519 new. To buy the Bartolini soapbars new they would be $134 each in the US, so two work out at £165, though I think it would be more realistically closer to £250 or at least £200 if you bought them here. [s]With this in mind I think setting [b]£300[/b] + postage including a slightly ropey gig bag to be more than a reasonable price.[/s] [s][b]Now selling at £275 £250, including gig bag and insured postage, cannot go any lower.[/b][/s]

[size=5][b]This bass is now SOLD![/b][/size]

Thanks for reading,
Dan

Edited by dc2009

I loved mine too, for a good few years, and it sure served me well. Plugged it in a month or so ago and the sound blew me away again, it sounds better than the reverse thunderbird and perhaps the non-reverse, but I can't play a 4 in the current band and can't play a 4 very well anymore anyway!

All trade offers welcome. This may be given a for sale price if there isn't all that much interest, but I'm not sure what that'd be.

This is an amazing bit of bass for your money, it would do anyone proud as a solid backup, or as a great second bass. It was a second bass for me, and one hell of a step up from a musicman copy. Great for those with small hands or stature, this thing has a really thin body, beautifully thin neck and is super-lightweight too!

?

I've been searching on this and found some conflicting things that only you can clarify?

The exact weight? And also the width of the neck at the nut. You have said it is extremely lightweight but also mention somewhere it is 8lbs, so heavier than most of my basses. You say it has a skinnier neck than anything else but the dimension given from the importer of 1 9/16" is 40mm, about the same as some P-Basses and fatter than all my others.

I am interested but need more information!

Hi Paul, I don't actually have a set of scales at home, but honestly I think 8lbs sounds high (not sure if I mentioned that or not). I had this bass as a scrawny 15 year old and it never caused me any weight trouble. It's also substantially lighter than my warwick, which weighs in at almost dead on 9lbs, which makes me think this has to be more like 7 or so. I can try and get the bass to my gf's and use her scales, but am off on holiday tomorrow so wouldn't have the opportunity to do it for a fortnight is all.

As for the neck, I meant thin in a depth sense, which perhaps was not a good word to use! That said I never found this neck to be particularly wide at all, but the shallow depth is the thing that makes it great IMO. I will be home in a coupla hours and measure the actual dimension with a ruler/tape measure and let you know.

Whereabouts in Essex are you? It wouldn't be too far from me if you wanted to come and try it out which of course you would be more than welcome to do.

Cheers
Dan

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=144173&view=findpost&p=1291031"]You mentioned it here[/url] about the weight.

I am between Basildon and Southend. But Blind Pilot has very kindly offered to let me have a feel of his, so to speak, so if I decide to move from 'interested' to 'very interested' I will get an opportunity to try before I buy while you are away.

Would you be interested in a trade - specifically a Hohner B2ABD in great nick?

[quote name='Paul S' post='1372031' date='Sep 13 2011, 04:07 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=144173&view=findpost&p=1291031"]You mentioned it here[/url] about the weight.

I am between Basildon and Southend. But Blind Pilot has very kindly offered to let me have a feel of his, so to speak, so if I decide to move from 'interested' to 'very interested' I will get an opportunity to try before I buy while you are away.

Would you be interested in a trade - specifically a Hohner B2ABD in great nick?[/quote]

Yep, so Dean reckon it is 8lbs, which sounds reasonable if they say it is, but I swear it isn't that heavy either so I'm not sure, hopefully Blind Pilot's one will enlighten you.

I would be interested in a trade for something like that (or anything really) but only a 5 string, so this is going to have to be FS only. The only reason this is being sold is because as a 4er, it takes a bit too much adjustment when I pick it up, and, as a result is very rarely played when picking up one of my 5ers is just simpler!

I'm back around the 25th-27th (not sorted yet), but will have internet access on holiday, so PM me with any queries etc.

Cheers,
Dan

Been thinking and decided I will pass on this, thanks - I would have to shift my Hohner B2ABD in order to justify getting another bass and I like it too much! But have a bump for what is evidently a lovely guitar!

• 2 weeks later...