Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt 200 Custom Bass Head

MAIDEN CITY

I just happen to have a Hiwatt 200 Custom Bass Amp head, and its an early 80's Model.From what I believe, these amps reach a good price and sought after.But I'm not that sure, as anyone that put a price on it were talking in the £1300 region.I would'nt have thought you'd have hit that price for it.They were quotes, and I'm sure if they'd have been buying, it may have been a different story.Why do these amps get such a price, when recent gear, having less use, dont seem to get the price.?Just an observation, and would invite any opinions on same.

Cheers. :) :lol: :)

[quote name='MAIDEN CITY' post='1332483' date='Aug 8 2011, 06:03 PM']I just happen to have a Hiwatt 200 Custom Bass Amp head, and its an early 80's Model.From what I believe, these amps reach a good price and sought after.But I'm not that sure, as anyone that put a price on it were talking in the £1300 region.I would'nt have thought you'd have hit that price for it.They were quotes, and I'm sure if they'd have been buying, it may have been a different story.Why do these amps get such a price, when recent gear, having less use, dont seem to get the price.?Just an observation, and would invite any opinions on same.

Cheers. :) :lol: :D[/quote]
It's the urban myth that every ebay seller relies on: It's old, so it must be amazing. :)

As it happens though, old Hiwatt stuff was built to ridiculously high standards. All the electronics were handwired to military specs. There's a Hiwatt site that goes into all the details if you're interested.

Edit: [url="http://hiwatt.org/"]http://hiwatt.org/[/url] is the site I was referring to.

Edited by Musky

I've got one too; and until the recession they were making around that price. I used to keep watch & saw a few go for £1200-£1300. A mate of mine sold one to a guy in the USA for a bit less than that though he could have got more, but he didn't want to make profit on it as a point of principle.

They're excellent heads for bass, they're clean up to almost full tilt so are good for pedal use & output way over the rating. "Thornybank" of this forum knows a fair bit about them, & told me he thought they reached perhaps 300-350 watts. Keep it well maintained & checked over if you haven't done already, those big trannies can kill you & the caps etc deteriorate over time which could virtually kill your amp if they go. Mr Foxen of here is also very knowledgable on old amps - especially Sound City which are teh ancestors if you will of Hiwatt.

What cab(s) are you using with it?

Many thanks for the feedback, and I do appreciate, in the financial climate at the minute, the prices they were going for on Ebay, would'nt be what you'd get realistically now.

Not everything thats old is good, as you only have to watch the Antique Roadshow...lol I play through a Fender Bassman rig at minute , myself, so looking to use 2 x 4x12 bass cabs with Marshall Head. (Valve amp)