Why become a member? ×

Replacement speaker - trace elliot cab/celestion c10t

observer

Hi guys, got trace elliot 2x10 cab,that recently started making strange noises. I found that one of the speakers got torn speaker cone.
Drivers installed in cab are celestion c10t 150 - 8ohm each, cabinet wired into 4ohm total.
I couldn't find find any info about those drivers - what replacement driver how should I chose from availaible currently on the market?
I'm aware of impedance issues, but do both drivers have to be at the same power rating?
Once I have to replace the driver I'd fancy to have a little bit more power in reserve, so what if I mix ie 150watt with 300 watts?
Cheers
Kris

[quote name='observer' post='1328300' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:33 AM']Hi guys, got trace elliot 2x10 cab,that recently started making strange noises. I found that one of the speakers got torn speaker cone.
Drivers installed in cab are celestion c10t 150 - 8ohm each, cabinet wired into 4ohm total.
I couldn't find find any info about those drivers - what replacement driver how should I chose from availaible currently on the market?
I'm aware of impedance issues, but do both drivers have to be at the same power rating?
Once I have to replace the driver I'd fancy to have a little bit more power in reserve, so what if I mix ie 150watt with 300 watts?
Cheers
Kris[/quote]

The power you put into the cab will be shared equally among the speakers, so there's no point in having one rated higher than the other.

Can you not repair the torn cone? It's only paper. Or have it reconed?

[quote name='bremen' post='1328349' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:03 AM']The power you put into the cab will be shared equally among the speakers, so there's no point in having one rated higher than the other.

Can you not repair the torn cone? It's only paper. Or have it reconed?[/quote]

Cheers, that question about different drivers was obviously stupid :)
Can repair it but that's only temporary solution, that's my main giging cab (playing usually in pubs) and need something reliable
So, any suggestions about new speaker driver?
Blue aran selling already celestions rated 100 and 200 watts, eminence beta and delta drivers are 250watts or higher
Any ideas?

As long as the cone isn't shredded, a competent repair should last as long as the cone. Google for cone repair techniques using tissue paper and glue.
There's nothing wrong with fitting new drivers, but if you are looking for a genuine improvement over the original Trace drivers you need to be looking at something like top of the range Celestions or one of the Italian brands like B&C or 18sound.