Why become a member? ×

Bargain Trace Eliott Combo

BigGuyAtTheBack

Just scored a very old Trace Elliot GP11 4x10 combo off the old Evilbay for £41!!!!!!! and it works! The seller didn't seem to know much about amps and was selling it because his son was playing guitar thro' it too loudly. It was described as in full working condition but of course there was a problem, 2 ripped speakers but hey £41 quid! I get it home plug in and holy crap this things LOUD even with 2 ripped speakers. My question is where can I get replacement speakers? are modern celestions OK? The originals are marked TEC 10, 50 watts, 8ohms. Any help greatly appreciated. [attachment=86220:IMG_0008.JPG][attachment=86221:IMG_0002.JPG][attachment=86222:IMG_0007.JPG]

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' post='1326103' date='Aug 3 2011, 08:50 PM']My question is where can I get replacement speakers? are modern celestions OK? The originals are marked TEC 10, 50 watts, 8ohms. Any help greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Get them re-coned at Wembley Loudspeakers.
At least you will know they match the other 2.
[url="http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/"]http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/[/url]

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' post='1330743' date='Aug 7 2011, 11:08 AM']Thanks for the info guys! I contacted Wembley Speakers but unfortunately reconing is going to cost more than replacement Celestions. I have 4 Eminence Gammas so I think I'll use these instead.[/quote]

Gammas will do fine as long as they are the same impedance, and you'll have much more power handling. If they aren't the same impedance I'd make sure the amp is ok with whatever they are...

A bargain for £41 anyway!

ficelles

Thanks Ficelles, the Eminence's are 8 ohm. Of course they had to be about 2mm bigger dia than the Celestions! so out with the flap wheel. Got them fitted. A 'tighter' sound methinks, but now I can barely lift the combo! Anyhoo I have a big marquee gig this Friday with a decent PA so I'll give a whirl and see how it goes. It'll be nice to see the looks on the guitarist's faces as I plonk down a Trace Elliot on the stage.