Why become a member? ×

FS: Jack Read Custom 4-string

nobodysprefect

This bass was built by the US luthier Jack Read, who built Victor Wooten's step-neck bass. Jack is no longer in business, so new ones can't be found. Jack used to be a frequent contributor to The Bottom Line, an ancient (as these things are measured) mailing list to which some bass luminaries also wrote theory lessons regularly. He was a great builder, too, and this bass was one he built for NAMM '97, so it's got that showpiece kind of detail. The bass hasn't been gigged ONCE and I've not really used it for rehearsals either, as I couldn't get over the lack of a B-string in the end. So this bass is best described as 'new old stock.'

So, the neck is a 24-fret neck-through 5-piece with a very smooth heel. Think the body wood is mahogany and it's got the tone chambers which add nice err punch and airyness (is that even a word) to the tone. The neck, as you can see, has little taper, and the neck is also otherwise close to a Spector 4-string neck. The bass is very light, I'm guesstimating it at about 3.5 kilograms.

The electronics are EMG DC-40's with 3-band sweepable mid eq. Lots of bark and thunder! The sweep mid should be a standard issue on a high-end bass these days! It makes the bass go from rumble to punchy to honky.

What's the downside to this bass then? Only four strings and you'll have a hard time selling it on, if you ever decide to do that (tho can't see why if you're a 4-string kinda bassist) Comes with a nice, but not top-of-the-line gig bag and an SKB bass safe. (optional) Can also include some sets from DR if you're so inclined.

[s]Asking for GBP1300, [/s]Willl consider any offers, buyer pays shipping.

Edited by nobody's prefect

• 3 weeks later...