Why become a member? ×

Hi from Budgie tribute bass player

clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1337423' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:27 AM']A Budgie tribute? Christ you've got your work cut out. Can't believe the bass lines Burke Shelley sings over. My tone was once compared to his, which I was very pleased about.[/quote]

You have a tone like Burke's? that's :) I can play the bass lines ok, (it's nothing like as difficult as the Wishbone Ash stuff I was playing before) it's the singing as i've never sang before.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1337635' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:00 PM']Hi John, thanks for the welcome. Nice to see you on here. John actually became a drummer for my current band! but he left 2 or 3 weeks ago and i've not seen or spoke to him since the back end of June when we played a gig at Colwyn Bay FC. Chris came to watch us play a few months ago but i've not seen him since and to be honest we never saw much of each other even when I was in the WA tribute band. If I do see either of them i'll pass your wishes on. Just out of curiosity what are you doing now band-wise? and didn't you join MTWA forum? are you still on that?[/quote]

I'm in a band called the Fallen. It's a female fronted covers band. Were out gigging regular, which is something I could never see with the AW tribute.

I was on both WA web forums, both Andy's and Martin's, but grew tired of all the bickering between the two sets of fans.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1338963' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:13 PM']I'm in a band called the Fallen. It's a female fronted covers band. Were out gigging regular, which is something I could never see with the AW tribute.[/quote]

That's because it was me that got all their gigs! :)
I'm glad you got into a good band and I hope it's all going well for you. If I see your band listed i'll try to get to see you. It's not easy (as you probably know yourself) to get to see many bands when you gig yourself.
I am no longer a member of the WA forum, I havn't been for a long time. I still go on MTWA forum but I don't post anything like I used to. It's a shame about the fans bickering but I don't get involved in all that nonsense. I tend to spend most of my time on Basschat and Progarchives these days to be honest. Anyway, it's nice to know you are doing well, i'll pass your wishes on for you, if I happen to bump into the old band.
Tony.

Hi

Welcome to the forum - I am a self confessed Budgie nut and have been watching since 1974. Met Burke a few times and thanked him personally for teaching me bass - He was a bit confused by this till I stated that I learnt from all the albums. I progressed to Geddy lee, John wetton and Chris Squire later.. I am now in a covers band and try to slip Budgie stuff in wherever I can. Stuff like their versions of Nutbush and Baby Please Don't Go... also Breadfan of course I can get away with - wish I could do more Budgie stuff but they are a bit obscure nowadays.... :)

I am also on Bandolier!

You must know Sacko, I take it? He pulled together some handy tabs

I recall that Simon Lees and Burke did not gel too well.... according to a guitaring mutual acquaintance of mine.......

You need a battered P Bass though - A Rickie aint right. Trace Elliot is okay though! :)

Hope Burke recovers soon from his heart related problems..

P

[quote name='kolossusuk' post='1345786' date='Aug 19 2011, 07:55 PM']Hi

Welcome to the forum - I am a self confessed Budgie nut and have been watching since 1974. Met Burke a few times and thanked him personally for teaching me bass - He was a bit confused by this till I stated that I learnt from all the albums. I progressed to Geddy lee, John wetton and Chris Squire later.. I am now in a covers band and try to slip Budgie stuff in wherever I can. Stuff like their versions of Nutbush and Baby Please Don't Go... also Breadfan of course I can get away with - wish I could do more Budgie stuff but they are a bit obscure nowadays.... :lol:

I am also on Bandolier!

You must know Sacko, I take it? He pulled together some handy tabs

I recall that Simon Lees and Burke did not gel too well.... according to a guitaring mutual acquaintance of mine.......

You need a battered P Bass though - A Rickie aint right. Trace Elliot is okay though! :)

Hope Burke recovers soon from his heart related problems..

P[/quote]

Hi Paul thanks for the welcome!
I ought to know Sacko...he is the guitarist in our band! :) I also learned by playing Budgie stuff I got into them in around 1975. Geddy is an influence, my fave bass player is Chris Squire.
I didn't know you were on Bandolier?
You may be right about Simon and Burke, I just think that Burke wants things done HIS way, it's HIS band so to speak and he is probably set in his ways. He's also probably the reason why Budgie never made it big time because they really should have done.
Sorry a Ricky IS right :D The Trace will be up for sale actually I need to downsize. To be honest I don't even try to emulate Burke's tone, or singing style (too high anyway) we just enjoy playing Budgie's music. Anyway, Burke has used a couple of different basses he now owns a Music Man apparently. I wished I could afford a 60's Precision but hey come that lottery win.........Ditto regarding his current health issues I hear he is on the mend.
Thanks for your reply. Tony.