Why become a member? ×

Spacey Fusion Video (new) - Solo/Groove Improv

urb

Hey Folks

I just made a new vid - I wanted to try and play something in a less rigid way - so this is a little improv (first take) over a chord sequence - see attached PDF if you fancy having a go at them yourself :)

PS ths is the first recording I've done with my new Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 USB 2 Audio interface - I think it sounds good

Cheers for watching

Mike

[attachment=85755:G_minor_changes.pdf]

Some nice sounds in there, Mike. Do you programme everything yourself? Or are they stock backing tracks? More to the point,. I had that Cool struttin' lp cover on a t-shirt years ago, when Jazzwise started. Its long gone but its a great LP for hearing Paul Chambers :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1322237' date='Jul 31 2011, 04:10 PM']Some nice sounds in there, Mike. Do you programme everything yourself? Or are they stock backing tracks? More to the point,. I had that Cool struttin' lp cover on a t-shirt years ago, when Jazzwise started. Its long gone but its a great LP for hearing Paul Chambers :)[/quote]

Hey Rob - thanks for listening - re the backing I did this one pretty quickly using Superior Drummer drum module and some pre-programmed MIDI parts - and dare I say it for sheer convenience I exported the chord sequence from Band In A Box then re-imported it back into Logic but used a nice synth plug in - Absynth 5 - to get those synthy swells - it came out OK.

Re the T-shirt I'm no big Blue Note nut (I love 99% of the stuff on that label though) but I actually got the shirt along with the vinyl of the album - I do have a turntable at home but to be honest I've worn the t-shirt way more time than I've played the record! Something I must rectify...!

Thanks for checking it - hope all is well with you

Cheers

Mike

Great stuff Mike!

I particularly like it when you switch to the lower octave playing - there's a nice funky riff that kicks it off at around 3.15 in the vid that I'm going to be attempting to steal - ahem! - I mean practice myself when I get a spare moment.

That Focusrite is sounding good too. Can't stretch to a new interface myself at the moment, but the Scarlett 18i6 does look good for the money. I'm still using an old Tascam 144-MKII myself - kinda clunky, but it gets the job done ok. At least for my standards! :)

Keep 'em coming.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1326722' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:09 PM']Forgot to mention, I watched this and liked it, as I do all your vids![/quote]

Thanks for the supportive comments - just messing with some ideas - got lots more to be go and work on!

I need to get writing some new material - been too damn busy doing other stuff lately - playing gigs and work... urgh!

Cheers guys

Mike

I have used that Band In A Box shortcut thing to demo tunes too, Mike. I take the midi file over to Cubase and then change the sounds to various Halion samples or Absynth, Massive, Juno - whatever is on there, really (I am no tech-head) . Great way to demo things 'convincingly' although, as I can only play bass and guitar, my options for melodies are limited. I try to sing to 'get the feel' of a song but my voice is weak and often does more harm than good!! I have also done the same with Sibelius charts; written out the part and copied the midi file into Cubase and changed the samples to better quality ones. I'll post some later, if I remember.

PS - my Paul Chambers biography is in the later stages of editing but, equally exciting, I have been put forward to write a monthly jazz column for a local arts magazine. May come to nothing but I can only keep trying!!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1326752' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:21 PM']I have used that Band In A Box shortcut thing to demo tunes too, Mike. I take the midi file over to Cubase and then change the sounds to various Halion samples or Absynth, Massive, Juno - whatever is on there, really (I am no tech-head) . Great way to demo things 'convincingly' although, as I can only play bass and guitar, my options for melodies are limited. I try to sing to 'get the feel' of a song but my voice is weak and often does more harm than good!! I have also done the same with Sibelius charts; written out the part and copied the midi file into Cubase and changed the samples to better quality ones. I'll post some later, if I remember.

PS - my Paul Chambers biography is in the later stages of editing but, equally exciting, I have been put forward to write a monthly jazz column for a local arts magazine. May come to nothing but I can only keep trying!!![/quote]

Great man - I look forward to hearing some of those tunes Rob and keep me posted on the book - good news about getting some work writing about jazz locally please keep in touch if you want to post the odd review on the Jazzwise website :)

Cheers

Mike

Here's a couple of experimental sketches I did using different software. The middle one is a band in a box job - the bass part and bass solo are me but the piano solo is BitB - astonishing really. Excuse the dodgy vocal; I had a trumpet in mind!! The other two are Sibelius charts put into Cubase with VST strings etc.

Not to be taken seriously!!

^ Nice tracks there Bilbo. And each very different from the next.

My pick of the bunch is probably Easily Done; "dodgy vocal" and all :) I often do the same thing and scat or hum along accompaniment to help sketch out an idea. Though you really don't want to hear my singing, trust me! (something to do with the Geneva Conventions, or so I'm told...).

PS: the kettle drum on Fanfare reminds me of the opening bars of the 'Captain Scarlet' theme tune, which I've now had ringing in my head since:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhMl60b668"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhMl60b668[/url]