Why become a member? ×

zoom B2.1u effects pedal

chrisdaman

i'm thinking of getting this pedal on pay day, i know i posted about a pedal board a couple of weeks ago, but this has really caught my eye, and the videos i've seen of it have impressed me:

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-fx/pid15101/cid578/zoom-b21u-bass-effects-wusb-interface-inc-free-psu.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-fx/...nc-free-psu.asp[/url]

opinions / experiences / reviews please :)

Cheers
Chris

I've owned the B2 (same as the B2.1u but minus the expression pedal) and in my opinion, it's one of the best 'bang for buck' multiFX out there, especially if you dig in and start tweaking/creating your own sounds. The effects themselves are very good and although I can't comment on the authenticity of the amp modelling in there, they certainly had their uses and sounded good. It's sturdily-built with a solid metal chassis.

The built-in drum machine's useful for practicing and is more fun than playing with a metronome. I used to use mine for recording, too.

I was toying with the idea of picking up another, but I'm a compulsive stompbox-buyer! :)

For the money I doubt you'll find better without following a lorry around all day waiting for it to go over a speed bump :)

The amp models are not that realistic but if you forget what they are pretending to be and just use them to get a sound you like its a fantastic and sturdy little pedal. It can be a bit noisy, it does have a noise reduction system but its not great.
You can get some pretty cool sounds, but after the novelty of these has worn off, I use it to step up the level for the loud bits, and to get specific sounds for certain songs.

My only gripe with it is the two switches are a little too close together if you're on a dark stage and in a hurry to change preset (you can end up hitting both by mistake and either going the wrong way or bypassing). and they are a little far apart to easily push down both at once to bypass/mute with your foot. this can be solved by getting a cheap footswitch though. this wouldn't have been an issue if they had used bigger footswitches (like the older style Zoom pedals were).

I've not tried using the USB, I'm on a mac.

Great pedal. Still sits on my board for a couple of sounds and also as an emergency DI. +1 to getting a cheap footswitch to bypass it and use the tuner. Drum machine is fun to!

Keep meaning to use through the usb but not got a round tuit yet!

I've got one, its stood up to some hefty stomping, also use the cheap footswitch for bypassing/tuner. Some of the sounds are great others are... well just pointless. Have mine set on some kind of vintage rock type sound with a hint of valve distortion kind of noise, and playing loud rock with my Thunderbird sounds good. The usb side of things I have tried but have never had enough time to sit down and get to grips with it

• 3 months later...

Had one of these for about two weeks now. Again, can't comment on how realistic the amp models are, but I can get some gorgeous fat, warm tones out of this thing - using the Ampeg model as a starting point.

I've set up about 6 patches that work well for our current set list, including a great tone for my Kala Ubass that I use for a couple of numbers.

[b]The one thing I don't like about it[/b] is that you can't seem to have an amp model AND dirt pedal at the same time as they are in the same 'module' set. It would have been good to be able to overdrive the amp models with the expression pedal. Maybe you can, but i can't see how!

So I'm going to try an overdrive pedal with the B2.1u - I'll see how my Cat' SFT works with it.

But for small gigs and practices, when I don't want to lug the PedalTrain, this thing is epic. Best 60 quid i've spent on pedals in a while.

Easy to programme too, but headphone output is on the quiet side though.

Edited by Walker