Why become a member? ×

Hello

AC87

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum today, seems like a great place to improve my knowledge here, everyone seems cool.

Currently playing in a band called "Twinkle and the Sluts", we're relatively new to the gigging scene and still young as a band as we've only been playing together for about 4 months. It's a lot of fun either way! I've been playing the electric bass since I was 12, and when I was 16 I passed my Grade 1 on the double bass, before switching back to electric. I am currently looking to customise my Yamaha RBX 370a that i've been using as my go to bass since I was 13, in order to breathe some new life into it, anybody have any recommendations?

I also have been using Rotosound Roundwound strings nearly exclusively for a decade, although i've read some bad reviews lately about them, it's true they don't always last as long as they should, so I'm thinking I might switch to D'addario XL Nickel Wound, I do like a nice bright sound with fairly strong mid frequencies.

Thanks!

Adam.

Hello! Welcome :)

You hear a lot of mixed reviews about Rotosound. They're certainly not for everyone. Personally I love them, been using them since I started playing two years ago. And their customer service is awesome!

Looking forward to seeing you about on the forum!

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1311824' date='Jul 21 2011, 05:47 PM']Hello! Welcome :)

You hear a lot of mixed reviews about Rotosound. They're certainly not for everyone. Personally I love them, been using them since I started playing two years ago. And their customer service is awesome!

Looking forward to seeing you about on the forum![/quote]

Thanks mate!

Yeah they certainly are good strings, and good value for money, I just haven't ever tried anything else so I might be overdue to experiment a little bit :)
The last set I bought didn't last as long as usual which I thought was strange, ah well I might read some reviews on strings in this forum and see what people recommend. Nice one.

[quote name='AC87' post='1311851' date='Jul 21 2011, 06:13 PM']Thanks mate!

Yeah they certainly are good strings, and good value for money, I just haven't ever tried anything else so I might be overdue to experiment a little bit :)
The last set I bought didn't last as long as usual which I thought was strange, ah well I might read some reviews on strings in this forum and see what people recommend. Nice one.[/quote]

I keep thinking about trying flats, but I tried them once on a cheap fretless and hated them. But then it could have been because they were cheap and nasty strings.

I play a Precision so I think it's the law for me to at least give flats another go :)

[quote name='AC87' post='1311738' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:45 PM']I am currently looking to customise my Yamaha RBX 370a that i've been using as my go to bass since I was 13, in order to breathe some new life into it, anybody have any recommendations?[/quote]

Welcome to the forum, loads of good, friendly advice to be had.

Customise in what way? IMO new pickups would make the most difference to how it sounds.

[quote name='rOB' post='1311991' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:03 PM']Welcome to the forum, loads of good, friendly advice to be had.

Customise in what way? IMO new pickups would make the most difference to how it sounds.[/quote]

Cheers mate, thanks for welcoming me. For customising the bass I was definately looking at getting new pickups. I have read good things about Dimarzio pick ups.

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/dimarzio-model-p"]Dimarzio P style[/url]

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/dimarzio-model-j"]Dimarzio J Style[/url]

I would want one p style for the neck pickup and one j style for the bridge pickup. The one thing is that my current bass has active electronics, but as another kind member of this forum pointed out to me I need to know if they are active pickups or passive pickups with an active preamp, before changing the pickups.... I don't actually know :)

Would you recommend changing the bridge at all? I am also planning on experimenting with some different strings to rotosound roundwounds, I do like the bright sounding strings to help me get a nice punchy sound with good mids.

Other purely aesthetic customisations I have considered are changing the style of the volume knobs and tuning heads, and even LEDs on the fret markers! Haha I don't have a spare £400 for the LEDs so I'm gonna concentrate on finding some good pickups and making the bass sound good first :)