Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Zoom H4n / GarageBand - Result

Oggy

Hello fellow Basschatters

A month or two ago I ‘acquired’ a Zoom H4n digital recorder – I’ve been experimenting with it and GarageBand. I did a 4 CHN recording using the inbuilt mics for Drums and Bass and the additional two mic inputs for Vocal and Lead Guitar.

The Zoom produced two stereo WAV files that I loaded into GarageBand and tweaked. Remember that this is all new territory for me so the result might not be up to standard, I’m reasonably pleased with it but I’ll ask you Chaps to be the Judge(s).

All input / constructive advice gratefully received.

All Your Love – Rehearsal session 14/07/11:-

[attachment=85227:BT_All_Y...e_140711.mp3]

Blues Trinity - Rehearsal Session 14/07/11
Oggy - Bass / Vocals
Tony - Guitar
Keith - Drums

Oggy :)

Not bad, just need to mix some things properly I'd say -

Bass and drums don't sound to bad. The drums sound slightly distant to me for some reason. That's probably down to the mic'ing arrangement.

the vocals are panned to the left - they should be central. I think they could do with a bit more top and less reverb.

Guitar is slightly loud and should be panned both left and right.

Apart from that, not too bad.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1312750' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:15 PM']Not bad, just need to mix some things properly I'd say -

Bass and drums don't sound to bad. The drums sound slightly distant to me for some reason. That's probably down to the mic'ing arrangement.

the vocals are panned to the left - they should be central. I think they could do with a bit more top and less reverb.

Guitar is slightly loud and should be panned both left and right.

Apart from that, not too bad.[/quote]

Hello WHUFC BASS

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

The story on the vocals panned to the left: The Zoom H4n, when using 4 CHN mode produces two WAV files - both in stereo. The way I set it up to record the rehearsal was to use the two inbuilt mics to record the Bass and Drums, this produced No. 1 WAV stereo file. Using the 'extra' two mic inputs, I used one for the vocals from the PA speaker and the other placed in front of the guitar amp speaker, this produced No. 2 stereo WAV file. I then fired up GarageBand and moves both the WAV files into separate tracks; so I had just two tracks in GarageBand each with a single stereo WAV file on. To enable me to 'attempt' some 'enhancing' and adding effects for each instrument and the vocals meant that I had to make additional copies of the tracks, so I had two No. 1 WAV files (each as a separate track), panned hard left on one track and hard right on the other - what this did for me was the allow me to use the EQ, compression and other effects differently on each track i.e. increase the top end on the drum side to bring the cymbals up and find the frequency where I could alter the snare drum sound, on the 'other half' of the same stereo track - now panned to the other side - I could alter the sound / effects on the bass. I did the same copy and hard panning with No. 2 WAV file that contained the vocals and guitar then mixed the whole lot to produce the MP3.

I'm pretty sure this not the correct way of doing things but it was all I could come up with at the time. If the Zoom H4n gave me a separate WAV file for each of the four inputs I wouldn't have the problem - I dare say that there is some way of chopping the stereo files into two single mono files (one for each side) that would allow me to then 'position' the instruments / vocals a lot better for a final mix - I've yet to find how to do that :) . If you, or any Basschater, knows how to do that I'd be really grateful for a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen and giving me your comments - boy do I need them.

Sorry mate, that sounds like a complicated arrangement to be honest. Is two stereo tracks the only option that the Zoom gives you ? If it is, then it doesn't really leave much room for manoeuvre. A better option would be a to get a pre-amp that lets you use more than two mics and record that way.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1316489' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:52 PM']2 stereo tracks IS the only option.

But in any halfway decent DAW you can seperate the stereo tracks into mono and then pan them as you will....[/quote]

Hello 51m0n

I have no idea if GarageBand is what could be called a “halfway decent DAW”, it’s the only one I’ve used and that’s only because it came with the Mac. It might well have the capability of taking in a stereo file and converting it to two separate mono files; I have down loaded the ‘manual’ – I can’t find anything about conversion of a single stereo file to two mono files though (it would be the answer to positioning instruments / vocals in the mix though) – I’ll try one of the Mac blog sites to see if anyone can help. This is all new territory for me, both the Zoom H4n and using any form of ‘DAW’, great fun though and perhaps a bit of a tough learning curve will make life a bit easier for me down the road.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1316489' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:52 PM']2 stereo tracks IS the only option.

But in any halfway decent DAW you can seperate the stereo tracks into mono and then pan them as you will....[/quote]

It can be done BUT - it's a pain and can't be done 'on the fly' in GarageBand itself. I asked on one of the Apple blog sites and got pointed to a web site that gives loads of GarageBand info, read on:-

[b][i]Q. How can I split a stereo track I have in GarageBand into 2 separate Mono files? [/i][/b]

A. Pan the GarageBand track to one side, and export to iTunes via the Share menu. Next, in iTunes, set iTunes' importing preference to the format you want, and mono, Select the song in iTunes and choose the "Create [format] Version" menu Item from the advanced menu. Repeat the steps panning the other way if you want the other channel as a mono file as well.

Who ever said this recording stuff was easy - not me for sure.