Why become a member? ×

Conklin GT-7

MarkNS4

[center]Hey everyone

This is my first actual proper post on the forum...

I own a Conklin Gt-7 and as much as i love the bass ive found that its sound is... well... dull and boring.
But what else can you expect with a mighty mite preamp and active bartolini pickups

so ive decided to upgrade the pickups and preamp in the hope that i can acheive a better sound.

After contacting several companies in the uk to make a custom set of pickups that will fit in the bass, which wasnt soo easy as the current pickups are P4 sized which are usually found on 5 or 6 string basses. Kent Armstrong pickups have said they can make me a set which i have ordered.

Ive also choosen to go with an Audere 3ZB preamp which i already have, so im just waiting on the pickups being made and delivered.

Ill Keep This Updated For anyone whos interested in how this goes.

*edit*

here some before pics:

[attachment=85252:IMG_0882.JPG][attachment=85251:IMG_0881.JPG]

and the controls for the new preamp will be:

master volume
tonecontrol
pickup 1 volume
pickup 2 volume
bass EQ
treple EQ
mid EQ
Mid selector switch
z mode switch

*edit*

so the pickups arrived and here are some picks of how i got on:

[attachment=85757:pups.JPG]
[attachment=85758:empty_cavity.JPG][attachment=85759:IMG_0912.JPG]
[attachment=85760:newpre.JPG][attachment=85761:topview.JPG]

ill consider doing some recordings if anyone is interested[/center]

Edited by MarkNS4

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1308456' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:33 PM']Nice bass. Are you sure a Kent Armstrong pickup is going to be much of an improvement over bartolinis?[/quote]

well the bartolinis i have just now are active and as of late i`ve realised bartolini isn`t the sound im wanting

ive heard some clips of the kent armstrongs pups (which are passive) wired without an internal preamp and on their own they sound ridiculously good

ill stick up some pics of the bass before i start drilling etc

thanks

[quote name='MarkNS4' post='1308634' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:32 PM']well the bartolinis i have just now are active and as of late i`ve realised bartolini isn`t the sound im wanting

ive heard some clips of the kent armstrongs pups (which are passive) wired without an internal preamp and on their own they sound ridiculously good

thanks[/quote]

Link to those Kent Armstrong pickup clips? :)

Sounds like a nice "mod" diary! Any chance of any sound clips now for a before and after?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1308662' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:53 PM']Link to those Kent Armstrong pickup clips? :)

Sounds like a nice "mod" diary! Any chance of any sound clips now for a before and after?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this![/quote]

sounds clips eh?

i would have no idea on what to play

but i guess it is a good idea, maybe even do a video too....

I've had a gt7 for a few years now. Great basses. Had similar frustrations with the electronics. Have changed the pre to an Artec 3 band with sweepable mids, opened up the sound no end. Still debating putting an acg filter in at some point. The pickups are fine imo and very hot once rid of the stock preamp. Also had to change blend pot on artec to a 25k. Hope you get the bass sounding how you like.

Pete.

Edited by tempo

[quote name='tempo' post='1308845' date='Jul 19 2011, 09:53 AM']I've had a gt7 for a few years now. Great basses. Had similar frustrations with the electronics. Have changed the pre to an Artec 3 band with sweepable mids, opened up the sound no end. Still debating putting an acg filter in at some point. The pickups are fine imo and very hot once rid of the stock preamp. Also had to change blend pot on artec to a 25k. Hope you get the bass sounding how you like.

Pete.[/quote]

thats nice to hear, is there any chance you could record some audio clips?

it would be much appreciated

thanks

Just a small update for anyone interested

my pickups will be shipped on monday so i should receive them sometime next week

ive ordere shrink tube and copperfoil for shielding the cavity

im getting a bit excited as it will be my first attempt at anything like this

[quote name='MarkNS4' post='1308634' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:32 PM']well the bartolinis i have just now are active and as of late i`ve realised bartolini isn`t the sound im wanting

thanks[/quote]

Well i'm glad you like the sound of them. I think they're quite good (on the guitar) but of course they're not the most expensive of pickups so if i was rich they probably wouldn't be my first choice if you see what i mean.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1311676' date='Jul 21 2011, 03:57 PM']Well i'm glad you like the sound of them. I think they're quite good (on the guitar) but of course they're not the most expensive of pickups so if i was rich they probably wouldn't be my first choice if you see what i mean.[/quote]

expensive doesnt always mean the best, most expensive things are that price due to having a name for themself and if people only bought the expensive stuff then smaller named companies wouldnt take off and ive heard the armstrong pickups wired to a jack with no preamp and that sold it to me, plus the fact that they are uk based and can actually manufacture a custom pickup in my sizes.

only one other company could do it and that was nordstrand, but they are american based and id have to wait for shipping and pay for shipping and import tax.

but like i said i heard the ka pickups wired straight to a jack and the sound made me decide to not go for the nordstrand ones

[quote name='tempo' post='1308845' date='Jul 19 2011, 09:53 AM']I've had a gt7 for a few years now. Great basses. Had similar frustrations with the electronics. Have changed the pre to an Artec 3 band with sweepable mids, opened up the sound no end. Still debating putting an acg filter in at some point. The pickups are fine imo and very hot once rid of the stock preamp. Also had to change blend pot on artec to a 25k. Hope you get the bass sounding how you like.

Pete.[/quote]

Sorry for the hijack but, Pete, can you tell me why you changed the pan pot on the Artec to 25K? I'm about to put one of these into a Yamaha G5A which has passive
P-type pickups in a soapbar shell.

Apologies again.

G.

No problem Geoff. The Artec comes with 500/250k pots as standard which are fine for passive pickups. Active pickups generally have a lower output impedance and benefit from 25k pots. This keeps the blending of pickups gradual and smooth, not a on/off/both effect. If you are using passive pickups, just wire in as supplied.

I still intend to put some sound clips of mine up soon. :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='1319598' date='Jul 28 2011, 06:23 PM']Your B string situation looks familiar from my days of owning Conklins :)[/quote]

lol was a quick replacement B, which wasnt tapered so doesnt exactly fit

need to order myself a nice new fullset

cant wait to hear how the pups and preamp react with new strings either

[quote name='MarkNS4' post='1319609' date='Jul 28 2011, 06:32 PM']lol was a quick replacement B, which wasnt tapered so doesnt exactly fit

need to order myself a nice new fullset

cant wait to hear how the pups and preamp react with new strings either[/quote]
Just noticed your band is 96/4. I know the guy who used to play bass for them - you ever spoken to him? He's a Conklin man too, and a cool guy :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='1319623' date='Jul 28 2011, 06:42 PM']Just noticed your band is 96/4. I know the guy who used to play bass for them - you ever spoken to him? He's a Conklin man too, and a cool guy :)[/quote]

yeah ck, never met the guy as he moved to china, and now lives in canada and is married

ive been in the band for 3 years now, were recording our album hence me upgrading the conklin, and i couldnt be happier with how it sounds now

where are you from and how do u know ck?