Why become a member? ×

Squier P Bass advice

Pow_22

Ive had a mooch round this forum and notice a few have 'pimped' up squier P's. Im useless when it comes to drilling and filling so really was after some advice regarding pups and the bridge.

What are the nest bridges for standard Squire Affinity P basses? Im after once that will just fit on straight away without the need for any new holes/filling old holes etc. It appears a few have used Schaller 3D and Badass II. Do these both act as direct replacements for the old bridge?

Pups - Seems SD quater pounders and Wizard Thumpers are the choice of the descerning BCer. Again, are these both direct replacements that require no mods?

Cheers

Guilty, your honour, I have modded 4 Squier basses and lived to tell the tale.

The world is your oyster, all bridges and all pickups shoud fit straight in, with bridges (Gotoh, Wilkinson, Badass make sure that they do say can fit on Fender style basses) As for pickups I have had SD Quarter Pound ones and they were good but for the P-Bass I prefer Lollar ones. I can't comment on Wizards but people here likes them.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1305472' date='Jul 16 2011, 08:49 AM']Pups - Seems SD quater pounders and Wizard Thumpers are the choice of the descerning BCer. Again, are these both direct replacements that require no mods?[/quote]

If you're after traditional P-bass sound look elsewhere.

I am doing the same thing. Squier Affinity is the basis of the build then add

US Vintage PuPs - A US Precision Neck - Fender GOTOH tuners - Bridge undecided at the moment

I am a complete klutz in terms of wood and drills but so far haven't had to drill anything. I am going to have a go at soldering the new PuPs when they arrive. Thats the bit i anticipate being problematical but if i completely screw up i can take it to a tech :)