Why become a member? ×

Frequency Response

tim126

ancient thread resurrection, but I have a question and don't want the same ground gone over, 'cause I've read the thread. If I wanted to model a Karlson cab, could I use Winisd with the chamber both sides of the speaker model, or it it a whole other thing? And the the tapered slot in the front important to be that shape, or is it decorative? And is teh familair shape a way of making this sort of thing out of flat bits, or are they a different thing entirely?

[IMG]http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/7890/thick17ky.jpg[/IMG]

Wondering if they are an attempt at making a 1/4 wave resonator over a wider bandwidth, kind of like people who get the basic idea of a ported cab, but try and get two tunings from two different ports. Theory being the bigger wave won't see the smaller part of the slot and thus act like a longer tube. do they jsut act like a pipe with a flat end of some intermediate length? or is it something else entirely?

According to my 1966 'How to Build Loudspeaker enclosures' there was a 1950's trend to build in large resonant columns/tubes under the floors of houses which would be coupled to speaker cabinets and excited by certain frequencies. Only for the rich and foolish of course. The idea was that in a time when there was very little bass content certain notes would boom out in a rich and satisfying way which BC'ers will understand. It wasn't hi fi but it was bass. The problem was only certain notes would boom out.

Karlson thought by tapering the opening in that pretty way he could make something which would resonate at all the frequencies. He was effectively trying to make a non resonant resonator! Well, you can see the problem here. A quick look at the dimensions will tell you it was far too small to affect the frequencies he was targeting even if it had worked.

There were a lot of nutty designs in those days as well as some incredibly innovative ones.

Edited by Phil Starr