Why become a member? ×

I cant stop my yearning for a Bongo...

Musicman20

Alnico single coils..... I wish.

The neo magnets feel very robotronic in sounding, very clear and defined across the range, the highs arnt too bright in my opinion, and the lows are very low, deep and rumbling, which is nice.

I just prefer my stingray or sterling.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1305234' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:49 PM']Thats true, the neo pups are VERY clear...but the Big Al can get almost vintagey Fender tones.

What I do like is how powerful they are. A single coil and a low B...fat at the neck?! Really? Oh yes.[/quote]

Indeed, bbut the passive tone lacks the highs for me, the control should have been 500k as the single coils are essentially humbuckers.

I agree those miss are great on that bongo but it doesnt really have the same low end and high that the ray has, and for that high-mid and high sound that rays have is enough to cut through, as the lows are still very low and rumbly so they hold down the lows very well. At the same time I like my sterling as the mods are more pronounced so it's easyier to be heard but the lower and higher end trade of is a little too much when doing either higher end melodies or low end heavy riffs. One of the band songs is exactly like that so I also play that song with a bass too see if it matches up with my ray, kinda like a bench Mark song.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1306866' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:01 PM']I've played a fair few bongos and I found them really difficult to slap on. The neck pup was just too close to the neck for me which is shame cus they really are great basses...[/quote]

Although I can't hear the speaking in the video posted the player is commenting on the space for slapping I believe. Without being rude to you it's kinda down to poor technique or the ability to adapt. On the big al the neck pickup is pretty close so I learned to both pop with the very tip of my finger and also use my 3rd finger for a wider reach.

All this bongo talk is making me GAS now.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1306916' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:44 PM']Although I can't hear the speaking in the video posted the player is commenting on the space for slapping I believe. Without being rude to you it's kinda down to poor technique or the ability to adapt. On the big al the neck pickup is pretty close so I learned to both pop with the very tip of my finger and also use my 3rd finger for a wider reach.

All this bongo talk is making me GAS now.[/quote]
No offence taken. Up until 6 months ago i'd never even attempted to slap before so little titbits are always helpful =) I spose being a jazz bass man im used to the eons of space between neck and pup.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1306398' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:32 AM']Indeed, bbut the passive tone lacks the highs for me, the control should have been 500k as the single coils are essentially humbuckers.

I agree those miss are great on that bongo but it doesnt really have the same low end and high that the ray has, and for that high-mid and high sound that rays have is enough to cut through, as the lows are still very low and rumbly so they hold down the lows very well. At the same time I like my sterling as the mods are more pronounced so it's easyier to be heard but the lower and higher end trade of is a little too much when doing either higher end melodies or low end heavy riffs. One of the band songs is exactly like that so I also play that song with a bass too see if it matches up with my ray, kinda like a bench Mark song.[/quote]

The lows on the Bongo can be HUGE...that bass control is very very powerful.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1307963' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:27 PM']The lows on the Bongo can be HUGE...that bass control is very very powerful.[/quote]

No doubt, isn't the pre-amp the same on the big al?
I still want to find out what the bands are set at to give me a better idea of how they work together.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1307970' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:30 PM']No doubt, isn't the pre-amp the same on the big al?
I still want to find out what the bands are set at to give me a better idea of how they work together.[/quote]

I think its similar....but the Big Al is a little more subtle when it comes to the tweaks.

I really need to try a Bongo, or just go ahead and buy one.

Ive found one for a good price....but at the moment im holding back.

[quote name='LLOYDWT' post='1299726' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:09 AM'][attachment=84469:46629_46...886486_n.jpg] [attachment=84470:260404_1...682937_n.jpg][/quote]

Saw you playing this bass at Ipswich music in the park, it did sound great!

Actually I reckon my HS Bongo was the best bass I ever had!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1309132' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:46 PM']Do you still miss your old one?[/quote]

I really miss it. It was a sight to behold, in the flesh it was awesome. Maybe I preferred my HS - it had more 'soul' and played like nothing else.

I eventually got realized that I didn't need such an epic bass but regretted selling it pretty much instantly.

I've got the Sterling now though, and a Jazz which cover mostly everything I could need.