Why become a member? ×

bass amp advice

nipplebass

thinking about getting rid of my marshall bass amp as im basically using it as a power section at the minute with all the tone coming from my vt bass pre amp pedal. just wondering if theres many bassits on here run the Power amp - Pre setup rather than an amp?

any advice would be much appreciated as i've never ran a rig this way!

also any amps you could recommed?

For reasons I'm unsure of separate pre-amp an power amp sections tend to be overall more expensive.

Personally you should look into the many lightweight heads out there.

A clear choice would be the SWR amplite, as it is just a power section. But many other light weight heads, even the OTB allow you to by-pass the pre-amp via the effects loop. The amplite has a lot of power for it's small size and weight, so if you are happy with the sound from the VT that's your best bet.

You have to think though if you've been running the pedal in-line to the amps input then the Marshall will be colouring the sound somewhat with it's pre-amp. So best be sure you prefer the VT sound through the effects loop return first before making any brash decisions.

You could do this...but am not sure of the quality of the pedal as a pre, tbh.

Most would run a dedicated pre amp in a rack coupled with a quality power amp.
Something like a Demeter, Alembic or Aguilar pre with a valve..but they aren't cheap.

Just get a decent amp and save yourself the bother of mix and match