Why become a member? ×

How the hell do I wire up my bass?!

matt_citizenbass

I took it apart to paint it the other day.

And i forgot how it goes back together :)

Not good electronics at all and all the schematics online are for jazz basses with 2 pickups and 3 pots.

I have one pickup going straight to the jack.

I managed to get signal coming out yesterday but when i turned up my amp it fedback (WUUUUUUTT!?)

please help me!

Take a look at [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_pbass"]this[/url].

Ignore the fact that there are two pickups on the diagram - you just need the two wires coming from the pickups labelled 'black' and 'white' - those are the equivalent wires to the ones on your pickup.

HTH

EDIT: Having said that, if this is a jazz bass that has had it's electrics 'customised' in the way you describe, then you might be better off just following the Standard Jazz Bass wiring diagram.

Edited by icastle

If you've had it wired direct to the jack socket with nothing inbetween, then just stick the hot (usually white) to the tip part, and the neutral to the other tab. And it should be as it was, if it's not, then swap them around. If it's still not how it was, then you are in trouble.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1292424' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:57 PM']The op asked for a Jazz Bass standard wiring, not a P Bass,

[size=3][u][b][url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass"]Click here[/url][/b][/u][/size][/quote]

Yes.
Unfortunately that was not clear when I started writing my post - which is the reason why I added this to the end of the post after I hit send... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1292122' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:07 PM']EDIT: Having said that, if this is a jazz bass that has had it's electrics 'customised' in the way you describe, then you might be better off just following the Standard Jazz Bass wiring diagram.[/quote]