Why become a member? ×

Need a kick in the A***

TheBassPlayer

Hey,

It's been a long time since I've been on here, basically, I haven't played bass for a long time (2/3 years). I switched to guitar in the improv band I play in and no longer play in any big bands, even my improv band have slowed down to an almost stand still.

I'm after tips to get back into playing on a regular basis, I have my good old scales book which keeps me in shape but I'm beginning to get bored very quickly. I don't want to simply learn and play along to my favourite songs because I'm after a challenge. The biggest issue I have is time to commit to band, time is not something I have loads of, but would like to spend my down time with my bass getting back into it and rekindling my love for it.

Although I haven't played live for a few years, I have still kept in practice and do some recording from time to time.

Anyone got any tips? Books? Challenges? How do you guys keep going?

Thanks for your replies

Stu

[quote name='TheBassPlayer' post='1288271' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:48 PM']I don't have the means to be able to join a band at the moment, I don't want that commitment.

I'm talking more about, playing in my own time, just me and the bass.[/quote]
OK... how about writing and recording some songs then?