Why become a member? ×

fender tuners, reversable?

cycrowave

hi guys, im thinking about buying some fender machine heads for a project (see link below). just wondering, are they reversable for use with a lefty?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250754457837&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

cheers

They'd still work, they'd look very odd though as once the poles are in place the machine heads would be the wrong side.

If you look at this image, one side would be the machine heads you'd need for a right hander, one side for the left handed ones (imagining they were all in a row of course, on a 2/2 headstock it doesn't matter).

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1287002' date='Jun 29 2011, 09:43 PM']thanks for your response. im just wondering if you could take them apart and just turn the pegs round, or if there is some component stuck in to prevent this?[/quote]
To my knowledge, you're fine to do this, as they are just the main part (attached to the tuner head that you turn), the cog and then the baseplate which holds the main part in, so theoretically you should just be alright to unscrew them, pull the main part out, stick it in the other way and it should be fine.

My jap ones are fixed units, like the peg was fixed to the plate by two bands which went through the plate, I couldn't see any way to remove the pegs and turn them round when I had them off for polishing.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Ross' post='1287353' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:42 AM']My jap ones are fixed units, like the peg was fixed to the plate by two bands which went through the plate, I couldn't see any way to remove the pegs and turn them round when I had them off for polishing.[/quote]

+1 to this. I have a set that haven't been installed. From looking at them the only way to reverse the tuner part is to open the two band and then reclose them. I'd imagine this would take a fair bit of effort and you might not get them closed as tight as you'd like.

I'm pretty sure that the tunrers in the ebay pic are not reversible. There's some info on the Schaller website that may be of interest - apparently, some of the company's Fender/Gibson fit tuners are reversible (the specific models can be ascertained I think)