Why become a member? ×

'87 power jazz info

wez

Ok, so I bought this bass (or more rightly my then gf now wife bought it as a xmas present) in 87/88. It's a Fender power jazz bass special, active PJ style bass MIJ. The thing is when i got it being 19 at the time and not knowing any better i went for it purely on looks and because it sounded nice. It never came with its manuals which i have since found on the fender website and i cant find any info about it online or very little. Also seem to remember it had to bridge options although i could be wrong on that. So basically what i want to know is whats the body made of (thinking basswood?) Am i right about the bridge? how much are they worth now? And were they any good compared to a standard jazz/precision of the 80's. I know this may seem a bit lame to have a bass over 20 years and not know anything about it, but thats just me unfort. By the way I love it and would never sell it. So guys over to you.

[attachment=83685:DSC_4700.JPG]

[quote name='wez' post='1286456' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:21 PM']Ok, so I bought this bass (or more rightly my then gf now wife bought it as a xmas present) in 87/88. It's a Fender power jazz bass special, active PJ style bass MIJ. The thing is when i got it being 19 at the time and not knowing any better i went for it purely on looks and because it sounded nice. It never came with its manuals which i have since found on the fender website and i cant find any info about it online or very little. Also seem to remember it had to bridge options although i could be wrong on that. So basically what i want to know is whats the body made of (thinking basswood?) Am i right about the bridge? how much are they worth now? And were they any good compared to a standard jazz/precision of the 80's. I know this may seem a bit lame to have a bass over 20 years and not know anything about it, but thats just me unfort. By the way I love it and would never sell it. So guys over to you.

[attachment=83685:DSC_4700.JPG][/quote]

This may be of some interest to you:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-FENDER-POWER-JAZZ-BASS-SPECIAL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-MIJ-/290533159857"]Fender Power Jazz Bass 1987[/url]

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='1286474' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:33 PM']This may be of some interest to you:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-FENDER-POWER-JAZZ-BASS-SPECIAL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-MIJ-/290533159857"]Fender Power Jazz Bass 1987[/url][/quote]
Thx for that. What a horrible colour though, but the price is around what I payed 20 years ago.

[quote name='wez' post='1286487' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:45 PM']Thx for that. What a horrible colour though, but the price is around what I payed 20 years ago.[/quote]

Horrid colour indeed!!

I see that there have been 3 offers which, if genuine, must be encouraging for you!! :) :)

Having said that, we have no way of knowing what the offers were. Just spotted that it is a "Best Offer" situation.

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='1286493' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:48 PM']Horrid colour indeed!!

I see that there have been 3 offers which, if genuine, must be encouraging for you!! :) :)

Having said that, we have no way of knowing what the offers were. Just spotted that it is a "Best Offer" situation.[/quote]
Yeh i clicked that to, it would be intesting to know how much it go's for. as for mine, it's not for sale the missus has said to me in the past i should sell it but i just cant bear the thought of being parted from it :lol:

[quote name='wez' post='1286497' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:57 PM']Yeh i clicked that to, it would be intesting to know how much it go's for. as for mine, it's not for sale the missus has said to me in the past i should sell it but i just cant bear the thought of being parted from it :)[/quote]

I think you're a wise man.

It went for $700

I have the same bass as you and its great. You can get the original book that came with the bass from the Fender website it expalins some of the features of the bass and what each of the controls do. It is a basswood body. The neck has a layer of graphite between the maple and rose wood. My one has the same bridge as yours.

Like you I will never sell mine :)

Thanks guys, i agree with you kempy it is a great bass so many nice sounds out of it. I need to get mine set up now as its never been done although it still plays well so just a bit of tweaking. also managed to find out that the passive jazz special had a different bridge standard fender looking type.