Why become a member? ×

Removing extra paint from body, and sanding lumps of fretless neck

Dave Vader

I bought a black finished P-bass body off the bay for cheap this week, as I realised the amount of work I would have to do to sort the P-body I have lying around was more than I had time for right now.
Unfortunately, some tit has sprayed green paint on the back, fairly badly, not a big problem, but is there an easy way to get this off, and leave the shiny black finish underneath? Or is it hours of work with low-grade sandpaper til I'm back to black?

Also, I have no radius block for my spare fretless neck, and it needs a few bits of high filler, and various dings and lumps levelled out, anybody done this with a bit of foam and some sandpaper? Did it work? Or did it make it worse, as this is my current plan.

All help much appreciated guys,
Dave

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1286327' date='Jun 29 2011, 12:49 PM']Also, I have no radius block for my spare fretless neck, and it needs a few bits of high filler, and various dings and lumps levelled out, anybody done this with a bit of foam and some sandpaper? Did it work? Or did it make it worse, as this is my current plan.

All help much appreciated guys,
Dave[/quote]
I've done a defretted neck without a radius block, just fine grade (600?) paper and a flat hand block(cork). Working lengthways it seemed to follow the radius fine, and the paper isn't really removing any meat, just the high spots where I had filled the fret slots with woodfiller. While you're at it, you can roll the fretboard edges to make the neck really comfy.
I put some Tru-oil on the board and flatted that down with very fine paper, slightly damp, and that gives a very nice satin sheen that looks remarkably similar to the factory finish on my US Masters bass neck.