Why become a member? ×

jazz bass bitsa project

mojobass

ok so ive wanted to try putting a bass together for a while, and finally got round to trying it!

I bought the bass off ebay - HK spalted maple top jazz!! the body is basswood (so they say ive really no idea!) with a spalted maple top. it arrived the other day and upon opening the box there i saw some permenant marker marks on the upper section of the body which are actually under the clear lacquer!!! and it looks like someone noticed and tried to remove them with stripper or something but realised they were under the lacquer and stopped - but not before 'dulling' the finish!!

anyhow, other than these marks i have to say the body seems quite nice! the neck however is s**t, prob the worst 'cheap' neck ive seen!

heres a pic of what it looked like out of the box!

[attachment=83659:__KGrHqN...QzQ___12.jpg]

so my plan was.... replace the neck - I scored a very nice tokai jazz neck recently on ebay and as luck would have it the screw joles lined up perfectly so no extra holes required!!!

replace the scratchplate with either black or tort - i ended up going with tort (because it was cheaper than a b;ack one) but i think i will go for black eventually

replace pups and electrics - well i had a set of MEC jazz pups lying about so ive put them in

will get round to replacing the bridge soon, also got a squire deluxe active circuit (bought off talkbass in the states for next to nowt!)

so up to now this is waht it looks like:

[attachment=83660:DSCF8601.JPG]

[attachment=83662:DSCF8602.JPG]

[attachment=83663:DSCF8603.JPG]

anyone got any tips on how to remove the lacquer so i can get the marker pen marks off!?? I would then just leave it un lacquered but use wax/oil or something on it

Edited by mojobass