Why become a member? ×

First rehearsal in 6 years

Jamesemt

[quote name='mike257' post='150829' date='Mar 4 2008, 08:36 AM']Our practice room is loud as sin, it's been crippling my poor ears for ages. Our drummer is a proper rock monster, and there's three guitarists, so I've had some hearing issues myself. Finally gone back to wearing ear plugs, and the difference it's made is incredible. Not only has my head stopped ringing after every rehearsal, but the clarity in everything is so much better. I can hear me, but I can hear exactly where the drummer is heading too (usually off on a tangent somewhere :huh:), so it might be worth trying that![/quote]

I've got some in my gigbag - it's summoning up the courage to put them in :)

Think I'll see how we get on - it might turn into a volume war with a second guitarist...

I had a rehearsal last night and found it really annoying when nobody else was playing, and i played a noodle to pass the time, it sounded really loud, (one of the three guitarists tells me off like he's a school teacher whenever i noodle... he doesn't tell the other boys off though! so unfair...) But when it came to actually playing a song (Basket Case or You Give Love A Bad Name as it happens) I was instantly about half the volume, and the guitarists were honestly (for once) rather quiet...

I've heard about speakers being out of phase etc. but i thought that was only when the exact same sound is produced from different speakers... :)

Volume is always a difficulty with my band, it seems to me that on a difficulty scale of one to ten, turning up to hear yourself and make everyone else turn up is a 1... and making everyone turn down because we're too loud is a 10.

also pay attention to where you cab is in relation to the wall, if you can't get it on the wall then you need it about 7 feet away from the walls otherwise you get phase cancelation (or something like that) and it will seem to cut you volume.
mids are your friend but set up your sound how you like it without anyone playing and then while all playing tweek the mids on your bass (if you have them) or boost the mid and mid high but not too much, little at a time.
we are fortunate to have a very large rehearsal room (its actually a hall) and we set up in the middle of the hall in a circle so we can all hear each other without being too loud or suffering from wall reflection problems. although after buying a new kit for our drummer we have had to up the volume a bit as the new kit is alot louder.
+1 on feeling the bass not just hearing it

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='151022' date='Mar 4 2008, 12:59 PM']also pay attention to where you cab is in relation to the wall, if you can't get it on the wall then you need it about 7 feet away from the walls otherwise you get phase cancelation (or something like that) and it will seem to cut you volume.[/quote]
See the wiki re cab positioning.

Lots of good advice but one thing is maybe worth mentioning from my experience. For the first 25 years with the Ferrets I was always too loud. I had to turn up so much to be heard using a variety of rigs. Since I got my EBS rig they guys have never complained about my volume and often say I am not loud enough.