Why become a member? ×

Strymon

D-COOPER

I've been following Strymon since they brought out the El Capistan. I finally got to check it out, and it sounded stupendous. I didn't buy it as it happens, cos I found I ended up just dialling in a virtually straight digital delay sound.

The Bluesky Reverb is stunning. I take it you've heard the clips? In particular the 'shimmer' setting sounds beautiful. If you're looking for that particular sound then the Lin6 Verbzilla 'Octo' setting is similar, and much cheaper. I'm not a great user of effects unless they are overt (I don't like spending vast amounts of money on 'so subtle I don't notice it whether on or off') so I wouldn't use it on bass myself, but check out Hotrox in Nottingham if you want to give it a whirl.

+1 for the quality of Strymon pedals.

I have the El Capistan. The sound quality is second to none. The build and the design are spectacular. Really easy to use yet at the same time lots of really useful features. I was dubious if they were worth the money, but when I received mine it took all of 90 seconds to be convinced.

I'm considering getting their Leslie emulator pedal. If it's even half as good as the El Capistan, it'll be worth it.

- martin

Yea the El Cap is really beautiful sounding. I'd been lusting after it for ages, but when I tried it out it was more a realisation that I'm not anywhere near that fussy about delay live, and that I generally prefer dry digital delay with no modulation for anything other than totally clean guitar sounds. More my own preference rather than a disappointment with the product.

The 'Lex' is pretty cool - the 'preamp drive', 'mic distance' and 'cab orientation' controls are pretty boss. The preamp drive in particular gets a really nice gritty sound to it. The speed-up/slow-down/brake/ramp-speed options make it really tweakable. As an aside, I've been after a great Leslie sim ever since hearing Charlie Hunter years ago. He used to use a H&K Rotosphere, which sounds decent, but used a Leslie on gigs if he could source one. Bizarrely, the two best videos I've seen/heard of him using that sound: 1) he uses an actual Leslie cab 2) he uses a phase 90 set to high speed... so I'll probably just get a Phase 90 at some point instead of the Lex.

The shimmer mode on the reverb is one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard an effects pedal make---but I don't think I could find much use of it in a band and its a lot of money for something that would sit in my bedroom and every so often I'd turn it on and go "oooh, puuuuurrrrrrrty" :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1286605' date='Jun 29 2011, 04:29 PM']The shimmer mode on the reverb is one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard an effects pedal make---but I don't think I could find much use of it in a band and its a lot of money for something that would sit in my bedroom and every so often I'd turn it on and go "oooh, puuuuurrrrrrrty" :)[/quote]

You seem to be dismissing the fact that the shimmer mode isn't the only mode :)

I think if you want to use reverb in a band, the blueSky will probably match any criteria with a bit of tweaking. It's got a sweet plate reverb, that can be adjusted to achieve this...

[quote name='retrohelix' post='1288828' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:38 AM']You seem to be dismissing the fact that the shimmer mode isn't the only mode :lol:[/quote]

I know its not the only mode, I just wasn't very clear :)

I don't have any practical need for *any* kind of reverb pedal at the moment. If I bought one it would be purely for the shimmer mode, hence my comments. :)

If I *was* a reverb kind of person, I'd love to buy one of these. But I would still think it was expensive. Especially when compared to something like the EHX Cathedral.

I love reverb on bass and the Bluesky is on my list. However, I've got no money so I'm just going to have to pray that one turns up second hand eventually!
I occasionally play in a little acoustic trio and a smidge of reverb really helps bring the bass out of itself, especially if you don't actually own an acoustic or upright bass.

Truckstop

I won't spend money on subtle effects, so the Bluesky is out for me - I wouldn't spend £250 just for the shimmer feature and the occasional bit of subtle reverb. That said I generally like a dry sound, particularly as excessive reverb clutters a live band too much when playing in all but the deadest anechoic chamber (IMO).

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a Strymon Blue Sky reverb and an Orbit flanger. Both are terrific, really clear and lots of settings - sound amazing especially on the Ric.
Tried the Orbit vs a TC Stereo Chorus Flanger which I also thought was excellent but nowehere near as nice as the Orbit. Also tried the TC Hall of Fame, but to me at least not even close to the Blue Sky. It was a very easy decision to make (except for the price!)
Worth noting that while the Strymon website says all pedals except the OB-1 come with a PSU in America, the Orbit didn't in the UK, though the Blue Sky did. Why? I have no idea.
Steve