Why become a member? ×

head options?

alex1995

[quote name='alex1995' post='1279043' date='Jun 22 2011, 09:00 PM']reccently bought an ashdown abm II 410 which is 600 watts at 8ohms i was wondering what sort of heads would suit this, as im struggling to find 8 ohm heads at the moment any suggestions?[/quote]

Remember a solid state 4OHM head will run an 8OHM cab.

I'm not sure I know of a head that won't drive 8 Ohms... Do you think you might have got the wrong end of the stick..? What head would you like?

For instance I own 4 amps (Hartke 3500, H&K BassBase, RH450 and a QSC 2402) all of which will drive 8 ohms.. If the question is what amp makes as much power into 8 ohms as 4 ohms, that's a different type of question to which the answer is "not many"

[quote name='alex1995' post='1279043' date='Jun 22 2011, 09:00 PM']reccently bought an ashdown abm II 410 which is 600 watts at 8ohms i was wondering what sort of heads would suit this, as im struggling to find 8 ohm heads at the moment any suggestions?[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1280411' date='Jun 24 2011, 12:40 AM']Don't a lot of all valve amps struggle with it? i.e. a 4Ohm all valve amp needs a 4Ohm load or it could damage it?Though most have a switch IIRC to change resistance.[/quote]
Thats minimum so 16ohms will be fine just quieter, 2ohms melts stuff flames and shiz! Not so good.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1281476' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:27 PM']Thats minimum so 16ohms will be fine just quieter, 2ohms melts stuff flames and shiz! Not so good.[/quote]

Only with SS heads. With a valve head, unless it has 16 Ohm tap, it will do damage.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1285773' date='Jun 28 2011, 09:56 PM']I have never known guitarists have any issues, Is there no minimum load then or do you have to switch the amp to the load in every situation?[/quote]

Most guitar amps I've seen have many outputs, my valve head has a 16, 8 and 4 OHM output, MY SVT has an OHM switch on it.