Why become a member? ×

Firewire port frazzled on Mac... anyone else experienced this?

urb

That's weird. Mine definitely came up with a hardware error relating to the FW ports when I had this problem.

Still if you are going to replace the Mac you will be able to sell the old one on with only a small price hit as the majority of people I know with Macs who aren't musicians never use the FW ports.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1282878' date='Jun 26 2011, 11:15 AM']That's weird. Mine definitely came up with a hardware error relating to the FW ports when I had this problem.

Still if you are going to replace the Mac you will be able to sell the old one on with only a small price hit as the majority of people I know with Macs who aren't musicians never use the FW ports.[/quote]

That's what is weird - but neither of them work - I've tried external hard-drives and audio interfaces - I even tried hooking my MBP up via firewire which I've done before to transfer particularly big files and I still got nothing. When it first started playing up I did smell a faint wiff of something like it had burnt - though none of that lovely 'magic smoke' appeared - I will maybe run the AHT again and see if I get any joy but I did do the full text that took over an hour to run. But like you say I should be able to sell the Mac on - even if I can get half what I paid for it I'll be happy.

Link to how to run the Apple Hardware Test: [url="http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509"]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509[/url]

Thanks again for all the comments and input on this - like I've said before I searched everywhere for info on this situation and there wasn't any - I hope others find this thread useful and avoid the hassles of burning up your FW ports :)

Cheers

M