Why become a member? ×

New DHA pedal idea - active eq, with Q and valve drive

DHA

I am thinking of doing a new pedal for bass players. Needs a name but something like the DHA VT1-EQ-Drive might work?

It's a 3 channel active tone control with Mid Q sweep and valve overdrive. It's a VT1 overdrive with active tone controls really.

It will have to go in a larger VT2 box and have i/p pad, gain, level, boost, treble, mid, bass, Q controls and fat, bright and boost switches plus a true by-pass footswitch.

Price will be £130-£140 I think.

Comments welcome please.

Dave

Edited by DHA

[quote name='DHA' post='146912' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:59 PM']I am thinking of doing a new pedal for bass players. Needs a name but something like the DHA VT1-EQ-Drive might work?

It's a 3 channel active tone control with Mid Q sweep and valve overdrive. It's a VT1 overdrive with active tone controls really.

It will have to go in a larger VT2 box and have i/p pad, gain, level, boost, treble, mid, bass, Q controls and fat, bright and boost switches plus a true by-pass footswitch.

Comments welcome please.

Dave[/quote]

How about a Blend control? Seems lots of bassist want this in an overdrive. On a pedal of this caliber Im sure it would make a very attractive proposition.

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='147075' date='Feb 26 2008, 08:15 AM']How about a Blend control? Seems lots of bassist want this in an overdrive. On a pedal of this caliber Im sure it would make a very attractive proposition.

Col[/quote]

I would only add a valve driven active blend so the price just went up £80.

Dave

Dave,
May I suggest you put all the knobs on the top.
The DHA compressor was hard to use with the i/p knob on the front. It's vunerable there too.

Also if it has a battery, use a quick release battery holder such as found in basses.
Also how about a rechargable, stock size, battery that recharges itself when the unit is plugged in but which can be replacable with a Duracell if needed.

[quote name='DHA' post='147096' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:10 AM']I would only add a valve driven active blend so the price just went up £80.

Dave[/quote]

If your in the market for a high quality unit, the price become less of an issue. Id most certainly want the blend. I'll be watching this space as I'm looking for an unit like this. Keep posting developments. What sort of timescale are we looking at as I could hold all my GAS for one of the first units.

Cheers

Col

[quote name='OldGit' post='147107' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:35 AM']Dave,
May I suggest you put all the knobs on the top.
The DHA compressor was hard to use with the i/p knob on the front. It's vunerable there too.

Also if it has a battery, use a quick release battery holder such as found in basses.
Also how about a rechargable, stock size, battery that recharges itself when the unit is plugged in but which can be replacable with a Duracell if needed.[/quote]

Won't have a battery as it's a valve pedal and current drawn would flatten it in no time.

Dave

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='147192' date='Feb 26 2008, 12:07 PM']If your in the market for a high quality unit, the price become less of an issue. Id most certainly want the blend. I'll be watching this space as I'm looking for an unit like this. Keep posting developments. What sort of timescale are we looking at as I could hold all my GAS for one of the first units.

Cheers

Col[/quote]

Hi Col,

I could make some pre-production models now to test the market before going to PCB.

Dave

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BassBalls' post='183307' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:56 PM']Hi Dave

has this idea been put into production? It looks really good on paper. :)[/quote]

some way off that yet but it's on the back burner.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DHA' post='146912' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:59 PM']I am thinking of doing a new pedal for bass players. Needs a name but something like the DHA VT1-EQ-Drive might work?

Comments welcome please.

Dave[/quote]

Okay, ready for the first run of this new pedal - specification will be

Version 1 (VT1-EQ-Drive) - A VT1-Std-Bass overdrive with i/p pad, gain, level, boost, DI level pots plus bright and boost switch. Plus a 3 channel active EQ with mid range Q control and a balanced DI out with level. The DI out runs in parallel to the overdrive out jack so both can be used at the same time.

Version 2 (VT1-EQ-FX) - It's really my "Bob the Blender" with the active EQ in the FX loop all the time. There will be i/p pad, FX send, FX return, blend, boost, DI level pots plus 3 channel active EQ with mid Q control and balanced DI ou with level. The DI out runs in parallel to the overdrive out jack so both can be used at the same time. So if you don't plug in any other effects then it's an active EQ with a blend. But it's also a FX loop with send and return. It does not have the drive level of the VT1-EQ-Drive but will still warm the signal up if required.

Both will have to go into the larger VT2 boxes mainly due to the large amount of knobs and switches.

As I tend to do with new pedals I test the market before going to PCB so I will offer 5 off of each at reduced price.

VT1-EQ-Drive - target price will be £150 +P&P but first 5 at £120 including power supply and P&P

VT1-EQ-FX - target price will be £170 + P&P but first 5 at £140 including power supply and P&P

Dave