Why become a member? ×

FS: Yamaha SLB-100 EUB. £800 cash collected

I'm going to post pics of this and a lot of other gear I'm about to sell this afternoon. Current Thomann price on this is a rather ridiculous £2,850 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_slb100_silentbass.htm). Having said that, it's a bloody good instrument, just not almost £3,000 good!

I got lucky on this and paid £1000 about 8 months ago. I've since bought - at stupid expense - the Yamaha Jazz bridge for this bass, which is lighter and thinner. I have yet to fit it! I use an Underwood wing PUP on this which makes it sound pretty close to a DB when amplified. I would not recommend gigging using the on-board pre-amp unless you're running it through a very good EQ (it sounds very good through my Acoustic Image gear and, interestingly, going straight into a desk. Doesn't sound so great though an Ampeg combo!).

I bought it from a pro Jazzer in that London. He had the neck professionally narrowed towards the nut, a modification that makes the bass far easier to play, especially if you're more used to electric bass than a 4/4 DB, which as I understand, this instrument is designed to replicate.

My first child is due next week and over the last two or three days I've been separating everything I own into two piles, 'Used Regularly Keep' and 'Not Used Regularly Sell'. This, disappointingly had to go in the latter, somewhat overtaken by my recently re-acqiured Ric fretless which does a very good DB tone.

I'm going to be on and off BC most of today, so please hit me with any questions. I should have pics by this afternoon. BTW, £800 is a great price and it won't go lower. [u]I'll give it a couple of days here before I put it on eBay at a considerable higher price[/u].

Chris

PS if anyone wants the Jazz Bridge, I'll sell that separately

Edited by Beedster

Hi - do you have photos yet - especially of the work done on the neck? I'm interested...

Nigel
[quote name='Beedster' post='1273486' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:36 AM']I'm going to post pics of this and a lot of other gear I'm about to sell this afternoon. Current Thomann price on this is a rather ridiculous £2,850 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_slb100_silentbass.htm). Having said that, it's a bloody good instrument, just not almost £3,000 good!

I got lucky on this and paid £1000 about 8 months ago. I've since bought - at stupid expense - the Yamaha Jazz bridge for this bass, which is lighter and thinner. I have yet to fit it! I use an Underwood wing PUP on this which makes it sound pretty close to a DB when amplified. I would not recommend gigging using the on-board pre-amp unless you're running it through a very good EQ (it sounds very good through my Acoustic Image gear and, interestingly, going straight into a desk. Doesn't sound so great though an Ampeg combo!).

I bought it from a pro Jazzer in that London. He had the neck professionally narrowed towards the nut, a modification that makes the bass far easier to play, especially if you're more used to electric bass than a 4/4 DB, which as I understand, this instrument is designed to replicate.

My first child is due next week and over the last two or three days I've been separating everything I own into two piles, 'Used Regularly Keep' and 'Not Used Regularly Sell'. This, disappointingly had to go in the latter, somewhat overtaken by my recently re-acqiured Ric fretless which does a very good DB tone.

I'm going to be on and off BC most of today, so please hit me with any questions. I should have pics by this afternoon. BTW, £800 is a great price and it won't go lower. [u]I'll give it a couple of days here before I put it on eBay at a considerable higher price[/u].

Chris

PS if anyone wants the Jazz Bridge, I'll sell that separately[/quote]

[quote name='nputtick' post='1281684' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:47 PM']Hi - do you have photos yet - especially of the work done on the neck? I'm interested...

Nigel[/quote]

Hi Nigel, sorry, I needed to sell a few things last weekend to justify another bass purchase and to clear a few things out (I'm sure you understand). Having sold something else, this is on hold for a while pending my sorting out my DB gear. Looking at a couple of other threads this morning, I think you've tracked down another SLB-100 close to you anyway, so I hope that works out, it'll certainly save you a very long drive!)

Cheers

Chris

I've just booked storage space for our PA, congas, case etc, and this will also be going into it, likely Thursday or Friday. I'm not too fussed about keeping it or selling it to be honest, but if anyone's interested, it will need to be before then, and it will need to be collected from Canterbury! Sorry the terms are a bit harsh, but they are my terms :)

• 2 weeks later...